Chapter 26 ~ My friend

"Guilty as charged." Zackely said. I sighed. I knew this was the best way but I wished it all would never have happened. "However, as a vital part of the Survey Corps, she will be locked away for only three months and then return to the Scouts where she will be under constant and strict watch. She will be required to stay in the dungeon there during her free time until she can prove herself trustworthy again." At least it won't be too long for her here.

"That is all." Zackely said. "Case dismissed." Two Military Police soldiers came and led Mikasa away. She was probably going to be kept in the courthouse's dungeon. We waited for all of the townspeople to walk out before we did. We were walking through the grand hallway when a thought hit my mind.

"Commander?" I spoke up, gaining Erwin's attention. "Is it okay if I go see Mikasa?"

"Are you out of your mind?!" Eren asked from beside me.

"Sophie she tried to kill you!" My dad said.

"I just want to talk to her. I'll be okay." I looked again to Erwin. "Please?" He sighed.

"I guess. But only for a few minutes." I smiled a little and we made our way to the dungeon. I had to convince both Eren and my dad to stay there while a Military Police soldier escorted me down the steps to Mikasa's cell. It was dark and a just a tiny bit cold. Not many of the cells were occupied at the time.

"Here you are." The soldier said. "I can only allow you a few minutes."

"Thank you." I nodded to him. He left and went back to his post. Mikasa was sitting on the bed with her head down and chains cuffed around her wrists. She looked a bit pale and had slight dark circles under her eyes. "Mikasa." I spoke up. She slightly lifted her head but dropped it back down.

"What do you want?" She spat at me.

"I just wanted to talk." I replied calmly.

"About what?" She asked. "Don't you hate me?" I shook my head.

"No, I don't hate you." I said. She looked at me in the eyes for the first time, a little surprised, but then looked away. "I understand how your mind was working. You were protective and jealous, although you did go a little overboard. But please know that I would never do anything to harm Eren."

"Well how could I be so sure of that?" She asked.

"Mikasa." I said. "I don't know how else to prove myself than trying to be your friend, which I've done ever since I came to the Scouts.  I understand that where I come from may not be the best place but please take my word for it, I would never hurt Eren."

She didn't say anything. She looked like she was contemplating something in her mind before she shook her head. "You're just an Underground rat, and you always will be." It still stung a little when she said that.

"Mikasa, I-" I started to say but she cut me off.

"Get out." She said, surprisingly calm.

"But I-"

"GET OUT!!" She yelled, tears now sliding down her cheeks. The soldier from earlier came rushing down with a look telling me that he had heard her and it was time to go.

"I love you, Mikasa." I said. "You're my friend and you always will be." She didn't respond and so I reluctantly walked back with the soldier.

"How'd it go?" My dad asked once I was back up. I just shook my head sideways and we walked back to the carriage to return to HQ.

Mikasa... you'll always be my friend.