...13...

"I need time to think." I said as I came downstairs. I looked Jack In the eyes.

"Yes of course. Take your time." He said. I knew he didn't wanted me to feel pressured and I knew he wanted me to feel good and comfortable, but I also knew that he was impatient and that he would rather have the truth right away, then having to live with the uncomfortable feeling of not knowing the answer and not knowing what was about to happen.

"Should we eat?" He said earning nods from everyone. We went to the long table and sat down. Jack brought over the last breakfast. He had made eggs and bacon and toasted some toast.

My mind was screaming at me.

Tell him you want to!!
Tell him you want him!!
Tell him you love him!!
Tell him that you're his!!
Tell him you won't leave!!

My thought were screaming the entire time we was eating. I didn't eat. I started silent. Jack stood up and walked behind me. He started massaging my shoulder. He brought his head closer to me and whispered in my ear.

"Don't think about it. Don't let it fill your head. It's your birthday. Have fun. We can talk about this later." He said and I nodded softly. He then went to the kitchen and came back with a cake and candles in it.

"Happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday dear Mackenzie.
Happy birthday to you." They all sang. I smiled shyly. I wasn't so good at having the attention and being the center of the party. Jack placed the cake in front of me and I got ready for blowing the candles out.

"No, you have to make a wish!" Ben yelled. I stopped and smiled. What should I wish for? What did I want more than anything else?

Please take care of my family. Ben, Jack, Luke, Liz and Andrew.

I wished and blew out the candles. Jack cut out the cake and gave me the first piece.

"So what did you wish for?" Andrew asked. Liz nudged him in the side.

"Don't say that! If she tells you it won't happen!" She said and the smiled to me. "I know you wished for the right thing sweetheart."

She was right. Wishing for protection of my family was the right thing.

We all ate the cake and had a good time. Ben, Liz and Andrew soon left. Molly was tired. I don't blame her, She's old.

I sat on the couch next to Jack.

"So..." I started awkwardly.

"So." He said.

"I don't know.. it's weird. I had this small amount of hope that my family one day would show up and tell me that they loved me and tell me they wanted me back but when you told me you spoke to them... and they just passed me to you right away.. it made me realize that I meant nothing to them. I was nothing. They would rather be free of me." I was on the edge of breaking down into tears as I told Jack the exact same thing I had told Luke.

"I know." He said. "But I love you Kenz. I love you so much and to me you matter. I want you to be my daughter and everything. I would never let you down."

"Not like them?" I asked.

"No." He said and pulled me into a hug.

"I still don't know." I said, not pulling away from him.

"It's okay. Take your time." He said and kissed my head. With that I leant onto his shoulder and fell into a deep peaceful sleep.