...33...

I heard Ben's motorcycle shortly after signing to me that Mackenzie was home. I looked through the window and saw Mackenzie hug Ben and giggle before she ran towards the door. I opened it for her and she smiled as she saw me. I hugged her, breathing into her hair. I kissed her head.

"How are you? Was it fun?" I asked. She nodded violently.

"It was so fun! First we.." She began rambling about all the things her and Ben had seen and how fun it all had been.

"Did Ben take good care of you?" I asked. She nodded again.

"I'm gonna pack my things out of that is okay with you?" She said waiting for me to allow her to go. I nodded and she went to her room. I sat by the table, drank my coffee and read the newspaper. I petted Lenny under the table. I thought about the last couple of weeks.. about how sick Stefan had been and how close I had gotten to him.. about how grateful Alfred had been and the letter from his father. I decided to tell Mackenzie, just in case she was going to call Stefan.

"Kenz?!" I called.

"Yeah?!"

"Come down here for a second!"

She came jogging down the stairs. Just how Stefan had done it the first day he was here.

"Sit." I told her and she did. "Mackenzie, I don't think you should see Stefan for the next couple of days." Her smiled faded and she looked confused at me.

"What? Why? Didn't you like him? Did he did something wrong? Was he disrespectful, because that certainly doesn't sound like Stefan." She spoke quickly.

"Mackenzie! Quiet!" I said maybe a little too harsh. She looked down at her hand which were laying on the table. "Hey.." I said, this time more gentle. I grabbed her hands slowly and made her look to me. "Stefan have been sick while he have been with me. I had to bring him to the hospital and it turned out that he had meningitis. He still has a fever... it's not that I don't like him. I do. I really do. He was really sweet.. but honey, you have to let him rest so he can get better and heal. That's why I don't think you should see him before he's healed." I said making her nod silently.

"Isn't meningitis deathly?" She asked quietly. I nodded.

"Yes, but we discovered it early enough to cure him. He's gonna be fine." She nodded. "But you know what?"

"What?" She asked and looked at me.

"I think that was the best way to get a real bond to him." I smiled. "He wasn't one of those fake boys. He was laying there being sick and he put respect in his first priority." She smiled to me. "Keep him. He's a good one." I winked making her smile wider. She hugged me before running upstairs to finish unpacking.