うろく

Samuel / Diana

Samuel skidded to a stop in front of Gap, slightly out of breath.

Yes, she had said ten minutes, but he had gotten slightly distracted by the smell of Oreo milkshake coming from one of the shops.

Okay, slightly is an understatement. He completely went off track and bought one as is he was possessed.

He immediately fished his phone out of his pocket and dialed her number.

"Hey, Darling?"

"Yup."

"Can you describe how you look?"

"Are you in front of Gap?"

"Yup."

"Okay.....I'm wearing an oversized black hoodie. I have shoulder length hair. And I'm wearing blue jeans."

"Okay. I'm looking for you...."

"Put the phone down? Isn't it awkward to be on the phone and talk to me when we meet."

"Well, if you insist..."

*Click*

Samuel gazed around the place, his eyes falling on a girl leaning against the wall.

Black oversized hoodie.

Shoulder length hair.

Blue jeans.

She was hunching a bit, making her hair fall over her face. By the looks of it, she was most probably listening to music.

Samuel's hands started to get clammy. He slowly walked towards the girl, his heart beating faster by the second.

He reached out and gently tapped her shoulder, trying not to startle her, but she still jumped, immediately whipping her head in his direction.

It was as if time had stopped. They stared at each other for a few seconds before she broke her gaze away.

She stuffed her phone and earphones into her pocket.

Samuel studied her for a minute. She was chubby. But there wasn't anything wrong with it. In fact, she looked so adorable. He just wanted to reach out and squish her cheeks. Her eyes were brown, almost doe-like. She fiddled with the hem of her hoodie. Her hair fell in unruly curls around her face. Her lips were shiny.

He paused before speaking. "Diana?"

She lifted her head, finally looking at him. "Yes?"

It was just like it was over the phone. Well, that's kinda obvious.

Samuel ran a hand through his hair. "Oh my God."

She immediately looked at him worried. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"No! No. It's just......"

"Just?"

"You're actually.....I'm actually........We're actually........."

She laughed at his words. "What are you trying to say?"

"I can't believe you're actually here," he muttered, feeling heat creep up his neck.

Diana laughed. "Neither can I, Sammy boy. Neither can I."