さんじゅうさん

"Diana, come on."

They walked downstairs, into the room but were met with only two-thirds of the group.

Ria tackled the girl into a hug on seeing her.

"It's been so long. I missed you...." she said.

Diana hugged her back, resting her chin on Ria's shoulder.

"Where is he?"

Carl sighed. "In his room. Still moping."

Ren scowled. "Come on Diana. You'll have to go home soon, I don't want your mom to scold you."

She followed him up the stairs all the way to the second floor. At the last step, he stopped.

"First door on your right. Please. Just listen to him."

She nodded and made her way to the door. Her hand hovered in front of the door.

She was nervous.

Finally, she took in a deep breath and knocked.

"Go away!" yelled Samuel from inside, his voice hoarse and tired.

"It'll be open. Just go in, don't worry."

She turned the knob and pushed. Just like Ren said, it was open. She took one last look at the boy, who nodded reassuringly. She entered the room, taking light steps. It was shrouded in darkness, but a faint light glowed, from fairy lights that hung on the wall.

"Go away, Ren. I don't want to talk."

"Samuel....."

His head shot out from the blanket over him and he stared at the girl like a deer caught his headlights.

"D-Diana?" he squeaked.

She tried to smile, but her lips were quivering. "Hi..."

"Wha-why are you here?"

"Ren. He...uh-he brought me here."

His mouth fell open. "But your mom-"

"I told her I was going out for ice cream with my friends." she interrupted.

He scooted over a bit on the bed and patted the place next to him, blanket still engulfing him. She stepped over the littered papers neatly and sat down next to him.

"Ren told me to listen to what you had to say."

"I see-"

"But before that, I want to apologize," she said.

"Why?"

"Because I should've let you explain before, instead of just screaming at you. Instead of just thinking about how sad I felt, I should've listened to what happened. Why it happened. I shouldn't have been selfish."

"You weren't being selfish. You had every right to. I should've gotten in touch with your somehow. And I'm sorry if you felt neglected."

Diana's lip wobbled some more. Even when she was at fault, this boy found a way to push it onto himself.

"What happened?" she asked quietly.

Three weeks ago.

It was a painful time for the boy.

She noticed how he was struggling to explain.

"It's alright. I kinda know that you have a concrete reason, and weren't just ignoring me. So it's okay. Don't force yourself. Especially if it's hard for you." she said softly.