Chapter 27. Five Months.

Nikki's POV

It's been five months since I left Chicago, and am now back in Minnesota with Billy but thing's have not been easy here. 

I managed to get out and get a job, trying to pay for my way as much as possible promising Billy's parent's that I'll get out as soon as possible.

Billy's parent's helped me go into homeschooling so I could finish high school by mail, so I could get more work hours in.

I'm laying in bed watching Roseanne for so long I didn't understand what Andy saw in this TV show but I've been watching it religiously since I left Chicago. It makes me think about him, makes me wonder what he's been up to the last five months.

Billy comes into my bedroom. "Mmm Roseanne and Cheetos again let me guess you're thinking about Andy." He purses his lips. "Jesus Nikki this pride thing you got going isn't fooling anyone pick up the damn phone and call him." 

"I've tried." I shrug.

"Three times, and you got a voicemail." He points out.

"And I left a voicemail, never got a call back." I say rolling my eyes. "I hurt him Billy, he doesn't want to talk to me."

"I bet if you got ahold of him and told him the truth it may change his tune." Billy suggests.

I huff in irritation turning my TV off climbing out of my bed. "I have to go to work I'll see ya later." I tell him sternly.

My dad wound up being descent enough to let me have the firebird, and he let me take my clothes too. He has called me twice, once to tell me to come get my shit and once to tell me he got another woman pregnant and that they are getting married after she has the baby.

As for me I don't even give a shit, after that I haven't spoke to him since and never intend too. I get into my car starting it and back out of the driveway, the roads are snow covered of course being that it's Christmas in three days. 

My dad had me emancipated so I'm legally an adult I'm pretty sure it's like the best thing he has ever done for me in my life sad to say.

Just as I'm around the corner from my job I lose control of the car it begins swerving in and out of the right and wrong lane. A huge dump truck is headed straight for me. "NO!" I scream.

***************

Andy's POV

It's been five miserable months without Nikki, she's called me three times but I was to big of an asshole to answer. I know that I'm being a dick, a selfish dick. I understand she was trying to do the right thing but so was I.

I've almost picked up a phone a thousand times in the last five months and called her back but then I didn't because I'm like most idiots and let my pride win.

There isn't a night that goes by that I don't think about her, wondering how she's doing and who she's with now.

I've thought a thousand different ways about what I'd say to her if I ever saw her again, but it doesn't matter because I don't think that I will.

I finished high school early, I did an overload of homework to get my credits where I needed them to be to finish. My mom got sick about two months ago, brain cancer and it's inoperable. After mom got sick I quit the street gang shit, got two jobs a mechanic and a janitor. It's not as much as what I was getting but I cashed out big and left the gang to Brandon whom as far as I know is doing good with it.

Brandon and I don't talk as much as we used too I'm always busy and so is he. Everything that was part of my life just seemed to fade into a distance and my mother is going to die now any day.

Josh really stepped up a lot helping me with everything, and I promised to help him get a license for helping me out with taking care of the kids, he just turned sixteen a few weeks ago so he's excited about getting a license.

"Hey man, how's it going?" Brandon asks walking into the kitchen.

I turn to look at him as I continue to stir up Gracie's scrambled eggs. "Hey man not bad how about yourself?" I ask.

As close as Brandon and I were we haven't seen each other in about a month now. "Not bad, look I came over cause I was wondering if you wanted to go on a run." He says kicking the corner of the island with his book looking down.

"Um why?" I ask curiously.

"Figured you could use the money, and because I'm sorta short a guy Ryan quit." He shrugs. 

I take a deep breath and clear my throat. "Uh maybe when is it?" I ask.

"Saturday night." He says.

It's only Tuesday. "I'll think about it, not going to make any promises though. I could definitely use the money but-" I shrug "I'm trying to be careful." I admit.

"I know man, you got court tomorrow?" He asks.

"Yeah at noon." I nod.

"How do you think that's going to go?" Brandon asks worriedly.

"Well I'll be able to keep Gracie but as for the rest, without having an actual sitter apart from my sixteen year old brother...I ain't sure." I admit.

"Well I hope shit works out and you can keep the kids man." Brandon says running a hand through his hair.

"Thanks." I nod.

"I better get going I need to get over to Heather's." Brandon says jabbing a thumb toward's the door.

"Sure see ya." I tell him as I walk over to the table setting the food down in front of Gracie. 

"Thanks daddy." Gracie smiles.

"Your welcome princess." I tell her.

"Andy?" Brandon asks.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Have you talked to Nikki?" Brandon asks, the question catches me off guard and I drop my coffee cup in surprise.

I clutch onto the counter for support. "No man." I shake my head sternly.

"Maybe you should." He suggests tapping the door frame with his finger's and then quickly walks out of the kitchen.

I finish cleaning up the mess I made and the phone rings I walk over and grab it off the reciever. "Hello?" I ask.

"Andy?" A deep voice asks.

"Yeah?" I ask confused not recognizing the voice.

"Andy, it's Billy look I'm calling about Nikki and please don't hang up it's important." He says.

What the fuck...

"I'm listening?" I ask.

"She's been in a car accident, I don't know if she's okay or not but I saw the firebird man it is fucking totaled." Billy says in a strained voice.

I sigh. "Billy I don't think that I can leave man I got all these kids today and-" 

"She's pregnant Andy." Billy says his voice thick with emotion.

The phone slips through my fingers I stare at the phone for a long moment, I can hear Billy calling my name through the phone but can't wrap my head around what he said enough to pick the phone back up.

Pregnant?

I look over at Gracie, and then back to the phone.

Authors Note: Alright!!!!! I love how this chapter turned out! This book has a ways to go yet you guys so keep reading, be patient with me I might have slow updates at times!