Chapter 3: Getting to know my best friend I

I was staring at him, but he didn't notice me. All of the students were focused on the teacher. I slowly opened the door entering class. "U-um... I'm sorry, I'm late."

"Miss Akamatsu! How dare you come late to my class?!" I jumped at the sudden shouting. Everyone was staring at me with mixed expressions. Some were laughing, some showed sympathy and others were confused. I walked towards the teacher with my head low. Best first impression, right? It felt like forever walking to the front of the room. I handed him my note, "Sorry I was in the nurse's office." He looked at it, then scoffed throwing it at his desk.

"Looks legit. Sit next to Mister Saihara." Does he really think I would fake a note? I sighed and looked at everyone. Their eyes were on me and I felt my cheeks turn red. Everyone sat in pairs and the only empty seat was next to that boy. Of course he is the only one alone. I sat next to him putting my books down. He handed me a couple pieces of paper.

"He passed out these earlier and I didn't know if you would make it so I got extra for you." I smiled at him. He's weirdly considerate. How did he know I was in his class? Probably from an attendance check or something.

"Thanks, mister Saihara?" He blushed softly.

"Y-yeah. I'm... Shuichi Saihara."

"My name is Kaede." We just stared at each other until I heard the teacher cough.

"Late to my class and trying to distract other students? Miss Akamatsu, you're not looking good on my book! Everyone read through my syllabus and ask if you have any questions." I sighed and looked through the packet. Shuichi and I didn't exchange another word creating an awkward silence between us. I looked around and saw that everyone seemed to be close friends. He's a little awkward, but really nice. Maybe we can be friends. I decided to break the awkward silence. "Thanks for bringing me to the nurse's office. It was really nice of you."

He looked away lowering his cap. "No need to thank me, Kaede. I caused you to fall and then you passed out. I had to make sure you were okay." You didn't cause me to fall... I bumped into you. I couldn't help, but smile. We continued class and was assigned reading in our textbooks. I packed my bags sighing as I held the heavy books in my hands. Pulling out my schedule, I looked for my next class "What is FT?"

"It stands for free time. Like a break." I looked st Shuichi zipping up his backpack. He had a skinny and fit body and was about the same height as me. He wore a cap that covered most of his jet black hair. He turned to me and noticed I was staring. He blushed looking away. "Sorry, I thought you needed help." This entire morning he's caused a smile to form on my face. I remembered that my locker number was on my ID. "I'll stop there, then. Shuichi, do you know where the lockers are?" He nodded and we left class together. "Didn't you say that you were new? You seem to know quite a bit." He shrugged rubbing the back of his neck.

"I just remembered some of the stuff we learned at our entrance ceremony. They told us the basics about our schedule and the structure of the school."

"Wow, you remembered that stuff? I tried not to fall asleep." We both shared a laugh as I looked at my ID again. "Do you happen to know where locker 236 is?"

"Yeah it's actually near mine, 241. It's a floor above us." I followed him as we headed to our lockers. I shoved my jacket and books sighing in relief. Shuichi was across the hall stuffing his books. He turned back heading towards me. Looking at him now, he also had a soft, clean face. He was your typical boy next door, but it seems like he's been through a lot. I didn't realize I was staring until he coughed blushing softly. "I'm sorry, Kaede. Am I bothering you? I don't have any friends since I'm new..."