Chapter 41: Rumors and the Truth IV

We learned his name during our first attempt at talking to him - Byakuya. It was obvious that he wouldn't tell us anything, but we could barely get a few words out of him. We spent several days trying to get information out of Byakuya. Everytime he didn't answer one of Kokichi's questions, I felt more and more impatient. One day Byakuya said, "I can tell you one thing. I don't regret anything." He looked straight at me and I felt my body tense up, but before I could say anything, my phone started ringing. After seeing Kaede's name, I took a deep breath and walked out of the police station.

"Hey, Shuichi, how's everything going?" Her voice was laced with worry.

"It's alright, don't you have class?"

"Ugh, stop sounding like my grandma." We both laughed releasing the previous tension we had. "We're just watching a movie and I wanted to hear your voice." It was incredible how much control her words had over my heart.

"I miss you, too." We were able to have some small talk and she told me about how much torture Miu, Tenko, and Mikan were putting Kaito through since he was the only guy there.

"So, when will you be back again?"

"Soon, Kaede. We still haven't found enough information."

"Okay, Shuichi. Be safe, please. I love you."

"I love you too, Kaede." When I entered the building, Kokichi and Rantaro were talking to a police officer. "Did you guys find anything?"

"No, he didn't say anything after you left," Rantaro answered.

"What are we going to do then?"

"I may have an idea." Even the police officer had a worried expression on his face.

"We'll be back tomorrow."

"You boys..." He sighed and turned back to sit in front of his desk. Once we entered the car, Kokichi told us about his plan.

"How do you know this is going to work? Who is this woman?"

"Someone who'll do anything to get him out of jail or at least shorten his sentence." Although Kokichi had a confident expression on his face, I had an unsettling feeling that I wasn't going to like what I hear. After 30 minutes of silence, we reached Byakuya's house. At the front door, was a woman who looked like she was in her early 30's. Her face looked as if it was drained of all energy, but she still forced an innocent smile on us.

"How may I help you, boys?"

"We're here to talk about Byakuya, your boyfriend?" Her eyes widened and she glared at us before slamming the door. "Listen, we know the situation he is in-"

"You sent him there!" she screamed. Rantaro and I looked at each other.

"You are well aware of what he did at the club." We received no response and sighed standing at the door.

"We are getting nowhere... We have to help, Kaede."

"And we will," Rantaro reassured. We jumped at the door slamming open.

The lady glared at us. "Kaede, that's all I hear! She's the reason we're in this mess!" We all looked at each other in confusion for a second before Kokichi turned to acknowledge her.

"Maybe we should talk this out. There's a nearby cafe if you'd like. Clearly you've got questions for us as well." Her body relaxed and she seemed on board until two kids ran up and hugged her leg.

"Does Byakuya have kids, too?" Rantaro asked softly.