Chapter 20: Jealousy of a best friend III

~ Kaede's POV ~

    Rantaro and I were discussing on how we should decorate the cake. I jumped when I heard the sound of a book slamming shut and looked at Shuichi surprisingly. "Sorry, we should focus on homework." I felt guilty when I heard him say that. I was texting Rantaro while I was hanging out with Shuichi.

"Right! Sorry, Rantaro and I have been talking about the project." He then got up to go to the bathroom. I looked back at my phone to message Rantaro.

Kaede: Sorry, I was talking to Shuichi. What did you want to ask?

Rantaro: That's funny.

Kaede: ?

Rantaro: Is Shuichi the reason that you didn't want to work after school?

    I blushed heavily rereading Rantaro's message.

Kaede: No! What makes you think that?

Rantaro: Just wondering, I thought you two were dating.

      It felt like steam exploded out of my body as my face reached ultimate redness. Memories of Shuichi and I holding hands, embracing each other, and kissing ran through my head causing my heart to race. Once Shuichi exited out of the bathroom I quickly sent Rantaro one last message and hid my phone.

Kaede: Gotta go!

       "Everything alright?" There was some water still dripping down his neck causing me to look away.

       "Y-y-yeah! Why wouldn't it - I be?" I laughed nervously and the boy just shot a small smile. We continued our work, but I couldn't get the imaginations out of my head. I stole glances at Shuichi admiring how focused he was on homework. A feeling of disappointment fell on me. I'm sure he doesn't have these thoughts about me. He's so hard-working, why would he distract himself with a girlfriend? I shook my head. What am I thinking?! As soon as he left, I lied back against my bed and sighed. Do I like him? Does he like me? No, it's impossible, we're just friends. We agreed to be just friends. The kiss was just in the heat of the moment.

The next day, Shuichi forgot something in his car, so I went ahead and entered the school. I headed for my locker and as I was gathering my books, I heard little girls screaming. "Big brother! Where are you?" A lot of people turned to stare at the two little girls. They looked like they were in elementary school.

"There are so many big kids. I'm scared." One of them was clutching onto the other. I quickly walked up and kneeled in front of them.

"Hey, girls! Who are you looking for?" One of them shrieked and hid behind the other one clearly afraid.

"My big brother, Rantaro."

"Oh!" These are his little sisters. They're adorable! "I'll bring you to him." They hesitated. One glared at me while the other was afraid. "I promise I don't bite. My name is Kaede. I'm friends with your big brother." Their shoulders dropped. I gave them a big smile and held out my hands. They reluctantly held onto each one and we walked to look for Rantaro. We soon found the green-haired boy who was shocked to see them. He ran up to the girls who let go of my hands to hug him tightly. I could hear awes from students who crowded us. I smiled at them. My job here is done.

"What are you girls doing here? You should be in class soon."

"You forgot your lunch! W-we worked hard to make it for you..." one of the little girls said. My heart felt so warm seeing this. It reminded me of when I wanted a sibling. He patted both of their heads.