Chapter 49: Hope for my best friend III

When I woke up, Shuichi was still asleep. I squeezed his hand softly and looked at the clock. Ten, huh? I turned to Shuichi. "Good morning, Shuichi. Are you feeling better?" I didn't expect an answer from him, but it felt like I hadn't heard his voice for an eternity. I looked down at my dress and sighed. Maybe I should go home and take a shower... When I turned to the side, I was surprised to see some spare clothes. I wonder who dropped that off. I checked in the bathroom and saw that there was a shower. Well, this is nice. After looking at Shuichi one more time, I turned to go take a shower and changed out of my torn up, bloody dress. Although the hot water was washing away the blood off my body, the horror and fear remained in my mind. He said that Shuichi should be okay, but what if he never opens his eyes? The memory of his smile as blood trickled down his face appeared in my head and caused me to cup my mouth. I sat in the shower for a few minutes trying to get the horrifying images out of my head.

When I got out, Shuichi was still asleep, but there was a to-go box and a bear on the table next to him. Pad thai? What kind of hospital serves Pad Thai? The bear was half black and half white, but while the white side had an innocent smile, the black smile had a devilish one. I smiled and looked around the room. "What an interesting hospital."

I put it back on the table and sat next to Shuichi to entangle my fingers with his. "How are you feeling, Shuichi? What are you thinking about?" I looked around the room and sighed. "I'm such an idiot... I'm sorry, Shuichi. We've only known each other for less than a year and I've already put you in danger..." I let go of his hand and turned to leave the room. Before I could take a single step, I felt something touch my hand and jumped in the air. "Shuichi!" A confused expression appeared on my face when I saw that his eyes were still closed. When I looked down at my hand, they were empty. Did I just imagine that? I huffed in embarrassment. I slowly got on the bed positioning my body on top of Shuichi. "Would you wake up already? I'm literally going crazy over you!" I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. What am I doing right now?

"K-kaede?" I opened my eyes and made eye contact with Shuichi. My heart jumped out of my chest and I leaned in to wrap my arms around his neck.

"Shuichi! You're alive!" He chuckled softly.

"I am..." I lifted my head up to look at him and then leaned in to kiss his lips. The last time we kissed, I tasted blood, fear and horror, but this time, it was sweet and warm. When we separated, I rested my head on his. "I-I'm not complaining... But, is there a reason you're on top of me?" My cheeks started to turn red and I immediately jumped off the bed.

"I-I'm sorry! I-I was-" He gently reached for my hand and enlaced his fingers with mine. I looked up at him and he was looking away with a red tint on his face. I couldn't help, but smile and hold his hand tightly. "I was so scared, Shuichi... I really thought you were going to die..."

"I'm right here, Kaede."

"You are..."

"Did you get hurt?" I laughed and shook my head.

"You're still thinking about my safety when you're the one lying in the hospital bed? I'm okay, Shuichi, because of you... My hero..." Time felt like it froze as we stared into each other's eyes. Suddenly, the door slammed open and our entire friend group came in.

"Shuichi's alive!" Kaito screamed. Everyone cheered with their balloons and flowers.

"We were so worried about you, dude!" Shuichi smiled and looked around the room confused.

"Where's-"

"I'm right here." Kokichi entered the room, and my eyes widened when I saw him shirtless with bandages over his stomach.