Chapter 19: Jealousy of a best friend II

Math was the last class of the day on Tuesdays. The teacher assigned the entire period to working on the project and as soon as I entered class, I noticed Rantaro was listening to music. He handed me a paper once I sat next to him. He wrote the outline already?! I was delighted by the idea that he came up with although I wish he would've discussed with me first. He decided to bake and ice a cake with the information we learned in class. "Hey, Rantaro." I looked to my partner who clearly didn't hear me. "Rantaro," I said more loudly. Still no answer, so I poked his shoulder causing him to take off one earbud. "Shouldn't we have talked about this?"

"You don't like the idea?" he asked softly.

"No! I do! I just think we should have agreed on a decision. I don't want you doing all of the work."

"I've never heard someone complain about that before." I was going to protest, but I could tell it would've been futile. He returned back to his music and I continued reading the rest of the outline.

"Rantaro, what do-" I looked to my left and sighed as I saw him on his phone. I tapped on his shoulder, a little vexed. "What does this say?"

"We'll bake the cakes at my place after school Friday and Saturday." Ugh, what if I have plans?

"O-okay..." I noticed a mistake and was about to comment on it, but paused when I saw both earbuds were in his ear again. I sighed and started jotting some notes leaving him alone for the rest of the period.

When we got to my house, I complained about Rantaro to Shuichi. I was walking back and forth as he was sitting on my bed. "He just decided everything without asking me!" Shuichi couldn't help, but smile in amusement teasing me.

"Kaede, you're the only girl who complains about not doing any work."

"He said that! I don't see what's wrong with it, I just don't like relying on others." He frowned softy and stood up walking up to me.

"You know you can rely on me, Kaede." My heart fluttered and I looked away, blushing softly.

"O-of course..." He smiled and we hugged before finishing up homework. Shuichi is the only one I can rely on. It's just so easy to talk to him...Suddenly, a light bulb turned on in my head. "I have an idea!" He nodded and I sat next to him as I told him what I thought of. We finished our homework before he went back home.

Wednesday came and Rantaro was still listening to his music. "Rantaro." No response from him, so I took out post-it notes and jotted down messages. I smiled putting it on his desk successfully getting his attention.

Kaede: What are you listening to?

Rantaro: Music.

I felt my eye twitch at the obvious statement, but I smiled because I got a response from him.

Kaede: What genre?

Rantaro: Right now, EDM.. But I also listen to chill and classical.

Kaede: I love classical!

Rantaro: What's your favorite artist?

I gained a feeling of success finally getting a full conversation out of him. We continued talking through post-it notes as we worked on the project. Right before class, I asked him one last question.

Kaede: You don't talk much, do you?

Rantaro: Really? I haven't noticed...

I couldn't help, but giggle at that response causing him to look up at me for a second. On the ride to my house, I told Shuichi about my progress. "I actually got a conversation out of him! We talked about music and stuff. He didn't even realize how quiet he was. I told you it would work."