Chapter 12: Playing for my best friend II

The day of my competition finally came. Even at my first tournament, I've never been nervous because I don't play the piano for the purpose of winning, but because I love playing it and I want to share that love with others. I played one song on the piano before leaving my house. As I thought about how my day would go, I did not expect what or who would be in front of my doorstep. I quickly walked to Shuichi who was leaning against his car reading a book. "Shuichi? What are you doing here?" He smiled up at me closing his book and putting it in his bag.

"It's a special day, so I thought you'd want a ride to school," he offered.

"You're too nice to me." As soon as I entered the car, we left for school. "Shuichi, you can't keep being so nice or I might think you have a crush on me," I teased him lightly punching his shoulder.

"Everyone can be nice without having romantic intentions behind them. You're my friend, so I thought I could help relieve some stress." Friend. Do friends kiss each other? Shuichi looked at me and it was like he read my mind when an expression of guilt fell over him.

"Thank you, but I'm fine. I love piano competitions. My first one was when I was 8, so I never feel nervous on stage anymore."

"That's crazy, Kaede." We didn't mention what happened yesterday, but I feel like we got much closer. Once he parked the car, we entered the school together. The day was boring as always besides lunch when I got to hang out with everyone. I put all my books into my locker after my last class. "Hmm... Now I have to go home, get changed, and head to the theatre..." Would he give me a ride if I asked him? I turned and saw Shuichi talking to Kaito. "Hey Shuichi! Hey Kaito."

"Sup, Kaede. Shouldn't you be heading to your competition thing?" Kaito asked.

"Yeah, that's what I wanted to ask." I looked at Shuichi and from the change in his expression, he knew what I was going to request. He nodded and then turned to Kaito.

"I'll pick you up, later." Shuichi said and they fist bumped.

"See you, love birds." I felt my eye twitch, but ignored him as Shuichi and I walked into his car and drove off.

"Thank you, Shuichi. I feel bad having you do this for me."

"It's no problem at all. I'm glad to be able to help you, Kaede." He gave me a smile and I couldn't help but smile back. He parked in front of my house.

"I'll be right back, let me just change!" He nodded and I ran off to my house. I took off all my clothes and threw my backpack onto my bed. A long skin-tight black dress with black heels was hanging from the closet door. I tied my hair into a neat bun and put on a little make up. Looking into my mirror, I felt more confident. "I look 10 years older." Before going downstairs, I clipped on my hairpin. Shuichi was on his phone waiting in the car. I slowly walked out of the house taking each step one by one.

I haven't walked in heels in forever... I opened and entered the car gingerly. When Shuichi noticed me, his eyes widened as he scanned my body up and down. "I-is something wrong with my outfit?" I asked nervously.

"N-not at all. You look really professional." I blushed softly.

"Oh, thank you. Here, I'll text you the coordinates to the theatre. Are you gonna wait till the show starts?"

"Well, once I drop you off I'll be picking up Kaito and Kokichi. I think the girls said they were gonna carpool together." I nodded fiddling with my fingers. He noticed, but simply stated, "You'll do great, Kaede." I just smiled softly nodding to him. Once we got there, I exited the car and he drove off.

"I haven't been here in a while..." I sighed heavily and slowly walked in.

"There you are, Kaede!" As soon as I entered, I felt a pair of arms wrap around me.