Chapter 38: Rumors and the Truth I

~ Shuichi's POV ~

My eyes widened when I saw the set of images on my phone. They said they wouldn't send it! My eyebrows furrowed and I looked around to find Kaede. The volume of the hallway rose from ten to a thousand in a deafening roar. I scanned the crowd to see people whispering and looking at their phones in confusion and shock. My hands clenched into fists as I saw the disappointed expressions on their faces. You all know Kaede isn't like this! That's when I saw everyone turn to one person and it was the blonde-haired girl sitting on the ground. My heart dropped as she turned and made eye contact with me. Confusion and despair was covering her entire body making me want to hold her in my arms. My legs were ready to run towards her, but I felt a hand on my shoulder. "I saw the photos. There's something I need to tell you." I turned to see Rantaro who was breathing heavily. I frowned and shook my head.

"Not right now... I need you to bring Kaede into a classroom. We'll talk then." He was confused at first, but nodded and ran towards Kaede helping her up. He held her as they walked through the sea of students.

"Shuichi?" Tsumugi's arm was around me once again, but I immediately shoved her away. I didn't feel like myself at all in that moment. I promised to protect Kaede but I couldn't even do that. I broke her heart, made her cry, and this still happened. Whoever this person is... I'll find them. But for now... I need to finally be the boyfriend Kaede deserves. My hands were shaking, but I knew I had to do this. I slammed my locker door causing everyone to turn their attention towards me. "Hey! I know what you all saw but every single one of those pictures is fake! Don't go spreading rumors about someone when you have no idea what you're talking about! If I find anyone talking about them again-"

"We'll kick your assess!" Before I could finish, I heard Kaito yelling from right behind me. He patted my shoulder and gave me a thumbs up. Hajime, Makoto, and Nagito were behind him smiling at me. "We got your back, Shuichi. Something weird is going on in this school, but you're not in this alone." The noise died down and everyone returned to their previous schedule.

"Thanks, guys. I've got to find Kaede, but I'll meet with you later." After they nodded, I turned and ran to find Kaede. After a few classrooms, I saw Rantaro comforting Kaede. She looks comfortable right now. How could I do this to her? Rantaro has always been there to comfort her... I shook my head. No, I can't have these thoughts. Kaede needs me right now. I opened the door and both of them turned towards me. Kaede's smile immediately faded stabbing at my heart. Rantaro walked right past me, but stopped when he stood next to me. "You better fix all of this. We'll meet later." I nodded with a passionate heart to find the truth.

"I will." After he closed the door, I walked towards Kaede.

"Shuichi, I promise nothing happened between me and Rantaro." I was surprised to see that, that was what she was worried about. I walked right up to her, but her body was facing away.

"I know, Kaede. I trust you."

"What's going on, Shuichi? When were those photos taken? Why were they sent out? Why did you break up with me?" Her voice trembled at that last question. My hands reached to hold her, but I couldn't do it feeling like I didn't deserve that.

"Kaede, there's something I haven't told you about. But just know that I love you and I'm sorry... All I had to do was protect you, but I couldn't even do that... I'm so sorry, Kaede." I looked down at the ground unable to look at her, feeling so much guilt and shame. Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped around me and a warm embrace enveloped my heart.

"You idiot, Shuichi. I'm so glad to hear you say that... that you love me. I was so scared wondering what I had done wrong, but I knew something was up. Thank you, Shuichi."

"For what? Those pictures were still sent out. I failed."

"Who cares? I heard what you said out there and you're right. They're just baseless rumors and our real friends know that what that person said isn't true. Don't forget, this is our fight, Shuichi. That's why we're together. I want to encourage you to find the truth. For us." I looked up and stared at her gorgeous eyes. I felt like I was looking at an angel I didn't deserve. We closed our eyes to share a sweet kiss that we've both wanted and needed. After a few seconds, we separated and I told her everything: the texts from the mysterious person, the video and the pictures, and the reason Rantaro and I were at that club. I felt strangely relieved to finally tell Kaede all of this, but when I finished she flicked my forehead. "I can't believe you've been hiding all of this from me!" She pulled me into a tight hug.

"K-kaede..." I blushed softly not being able to move in her hold.

"Don't move. I deserve this." I shyly complied and held her. I was surprised to feel her heart beating quickly, but it was steadying slowly. That was the last kiss we were going to share for a long time. Her lingering touch made me sure of my plans for the upcoming days. I laced my fingers with hers. "I'm taking you home." Before she could protest, I opened the door. People started looking at us and the familiar judgemental look plastered on their faces. I looked back at Kaede and gave her a reassuring look before we left the school building. Once we entered my car, a sigh of relief left both of us and we laughed. I immediately started driving to her house.

"What are you gonna do, Shuichi?" she asked. One hand was on the wheel, while my other squeezed her hand tightly.

"I'll take care of you. I don't want anything bad happen to you, again. I know I broke my promise, but I'll make it up to you, alright?" She smiled softly and nodded. I must find the person behind this.

Once she entered her house, my phone started ringing. My eyes widened when I saw who the caller was. I immediately answered and raised it up to my ear. "K-kokichi?!"

"Well, someone's missed me."

"I thought you were dead at this point," I said quietly.

"I'm surprised I'm not dead. Anyways, we don't have a lot of time to talk on the phone. Meet me at my house now." Before I could get another word in, he hung up and I got a text of his address. I switched my gears and left Kaede's house. When I entered Kokichi's room, I saw Rantaro sitting on a chair.

"Good to see you again." Kokichi closed the door behind him.

"Welcome to mi casa. Now, there's a lot I have to say."

"Are you kidding? Does Kaito even know you're back?" The purple-haired boy shook his head.

"No because what I told Kaito and you all was a lie. Anyways, this is a long story so sit down." I hesitantly sat on his bed as he leaned against the wall. Rantaro was silent the whole time.

"Did you know about this?"

"I don't even know why he contacted me."

"I saw you both at the club. I saw a lot actually... I'm sorry." I thought it was a joke, but he had a serious look on his face. "Before I left, or was sent off, I tried to break you and Kaede up. I'm the one who took that picture that the mysterious person sent of you and Kaede on the ferris wheel." Both Rantaro and my eyes widened. "Remember the night of Kaede's piano competition? I didn't bring snacks that night. It was actually drugs and I was hired to put them in Kaede's bag to get her kicked out of the competition and to sabotage her reputation. " We were hit with another surprising statement. It was like truth serum was spilled on Kokichi and the playful guy I knew was a completely different person. I couldn't believe anything I was hearing and more questions appeared in my head. "I couldn't do it though. After seeing you and Kaede on that date and at the piano competition... I didn't think the money was worth it."

"Who hired you?" Rantaro was the first to ask questions cutting Kokichi's sentimental statement. He sighed and looked at both of us in the eyes.

"You may have heard of her, but she's the famous pianist, Junko Enoshima."

Uploads every Tuesday