Chapter 37: Decisions and Secrets II

~ Kaede's POV ~

I waited for Shuichi to pick me up, but he never came, so I decided to take the bus. He wasn't answering his phone nor was he looking at my texts. I was a bit irritated that he couldn't even let me know that he was busy, but I also worried. Shuichi would never pull a stunt like this. Once I entered school, I headed for the normal hangout spot. Everyone was there besides Shuichi. "Morning everyone!" The girls noticed me and waved back. Even Rantaro and Kaito were there. "Do you guys know where Shuichi is?" Most of them shook their heads or shrugged their shoulders. 

"The real question is, how are you feeling?" Maki asked. I smiled and gave her a thumbs up. All of my friends had looks of concern on their face and I couldn't feel luckier to have such caring friends. 

"I'm feeling much better, but a little confused. What-?" 

"Kaede." We all turned at the sound of my name. A wave of relief fell over me as I saw Shuichi standing there, but something was off by his expression. I walked up to him and hugged the boy, yet I didn't feel his arms wrap around me. I let go and looked into his eyes.

"Hey, I was worried about you. Why didn't you answer the phone?" The boy bit his lip looking away.

"We need to talk..." My stomach twisted as his tone gave away the impression that it wasn't something good. I shook away my doubts immediately and smiled.

"Sure, what about?"

"I... I don't think this is going to work out." My eyes widened and I let out a laugh.

"Wow Shuichi, I didn't know you could joke like this." He didn't laugh with me. I realized he was wearing his cap again. It was covering his eyes.

"Have you ever cheated on me?" My eyes widened.

"N-no! I would never!"

"Please tell me the truth..." I frowned and bit my lip in frustration.

"I am. What gave you this ridiculous idea?" He shook his head and turned his back to me. 

"I'm sorry, Kaede. We can't be together... Believe me..." He started to walk away and only confusion filled my heart. 

"What? No, you can't just leave like that!" I ran to grab his shirt and turn him around, but halted when a girl blocked my way. "Tsumugi?" 

"I don't think Shuichi needs to repeat himself. You broke his heart and he doesn't want to see you anymore." She had an angry expression with her arms stretched out. I saw a glimpse of Shuichi's face as he turned the corner. He never once turned to look back at me.

"But I didn't do anything! N-no... This can't be real..." Tsumugi's lips curled into a grin and she immediately turned around to chase after Shuichi. My legs gave away and I fell to the floor. 

"Kaede!" The girls ran up to me. 

"W-what just happened?" Tenko asked surprised. My heart was aching as tears began to spill down my cheeks. "S-shuichi..." I could barely say a word through sobs. His words that echoed in my heart created the worst and most painful melody I could ever hear.

"Take your time, Kaede..." Maki said softly rubbing my back.

"Shuichi... He broke up with me!" I started crying even more causing random students to stop and stare. I heard gasps from behind me.

"What the hell?!" Miu spoke first.

"I-I thought you guys were so good together..." Mikan stated.

"That disgusting man hurt my Kaede!" Tenko exclaimed furious. As I looked up at my friends, I saw Rantaro run towards the direction that Shuichi was headed.

"This must be a misunderstanding, Kaede. Shuichi really loves you. I'll go check up on him with Rantaro." Kaito patted my shoulder and walked off.

"Let's get you cleaned up," Maki offered. She helped me up and we all headed towards the girl's restroom. They took some napkins and wiped my face. I blew my nose trying to calm down. My sobs soon faded and I fell silent. "What did he say?" the black haired girl asked. I replayed the horrifying scene to the girls.

"That didn't sound like Shuichi at all," Mikan stated hesitantly.

"I agree! Shuichi is stupid, but to just accuse you of cheating without even explaining himself or hearing you out? That's so unlike him! He's hiding something," Miu theorized.