Chapter 46: The Piano Competition II

~ Omniscient POV ~

A huge round of applause erupted the audience after Junko's performance. She bowed with an alluring smile and headed off the steps into the backstage. "Good job," Kaede said softly. Her words were genuine yet she was still thinking about the words Junko uttered before her performance. While she was expecting a smile, Junko simply ignored Kaede walking past her. Kaede sighed and looked at the next pianist walking up to the shining, black piano. She took a deep breath blocking out all distractions and thoughts from her head. As soon as she closed her eyes, darkness surrounded her vision. When she opened them, the same shade of black surrounded her. Fear filled her veins as the horrific and familiar memory played throughout her head. "Please, no!" She screamed, but as soon as she did, a tight feeling like a rope wrapped around her neck. "N-no! H-help!" She tried grabbing onto the rope to loosen its hold, but it wouldn't budge. Before she could feel the energy drain from her, Shuichi appeared in her mind. Then she saw Rantaro, Kokichi, Kaito, Miu, Maki, Tenko, Mikan, and her grandmother. She let go of the rope and opened her eyes. "You can't stop me. I won't give up, I'll win for everyone!" At that instant, everything was back to normal and she fell on the floor. Several coughs and deep breaths later, Kaede looked around her to see no one else was backstage. She stood up and smiled. "Thank you, everyone."

"And last, but not least, we have Kaede Akamatsu." After a few seconds of applause, the only audible sounds were the clicks of her heels against the stage. She sat in her seat and smiled when she turned her head. At the front row, Kaede saw all of her friends. She was especially surprised to see Kokichi sitting there with a smile on his face, but what made her heart jump was seeing Shuichi's face. She nodded and looked at her hand with worry. The melody that was stuck in her head for so long was finally being played in one of the biggest competitions in the world. The familiar feeling of softly touching each black and white key yet firm enough to release its demanding cry for attention allowed her to translate the memories and feelings she held dormant. Kaede wanted her audience to understand the roller coaster of emotions she had over the past few months, but also the excitement she has for the rest of her life. Then her finger slipped onto the wrong key and she could hear the audience gasp.

"My hand!" Kaede gasped trying to play the song. The burning sensation was taking over her mind and she couldn't focus on the piano. Kaede clutched onto her burnt wound as it sent waves of pain to her nerves. She turned around to see judges whispering and the audience's nervous looks. She hesitantly looked towards Shuichi, but saw a confident smile on his face. His lips parted and he mouthed, "Keep playing". Although her fingers were shaking from the pain, she returned to the piano and continued the rest of her song. "You can do this, Kaede... This won't stop you," she told herself. She bit her lip and changed the tone of her song from a hopeful dream to the demand of a better future. Once she reached the end of the song, silence filled the entire auditorium. Suddenly, applause erupted from the audience, louder than any of the other contestants received. She smiled and held onto her hand ready to stand up and bow. A loud creaking sound caught her attention causing her to look up. A bright light was shining on her face but it was getting bigger and closer.

"Kaede!" She heard a familiar voice scream her name, but before she could turn her head, everything went black.

~ Kokichi's POV ~

"Hey, where are you going? The song isn't over," Kaito whispered, but I ignored him and turned to Shuichi. He nodded with a determined look on his face. I ran to the back of the auditorium and into the dressing room.

"Excuse me, sir! You can't be here!" I ignored the lady's voice as I pushed past several doors to head backstage. When I turned the corner, I sighed at the tall flight of stairs.

He better be there... I started sprinting up each step until I heard a crash. Shit! It's too early! My feet felt like they were burning but I couldn't stop. Once I turned the corner, I slammed the metal door open.

"Oh, Kokichi. You tried, but I still won." Junko turned around with a devilish grin on her face and a knife in her hand.

"Did you really?"

"Everything worked according to plan, even your betrayal." I smirked causing her to give me a confused look.

"Did it really? We know you are the mysterious person, we have evidence of Tsumugi's involvement with you, and I mean you are standing right in front of us for capture. "

She turned around and the sight of the knife pointing straight me caused my body to freeze. "Didn't you enjoy that vacation? I'm sure your parents did. I bet they even enjoyed the random donor to their company." I bit my lip.

She's just trying to get to me. I carefully took a step towards her and forced a grin on my face. "Stay there!"

"Junko, the police are coming any moment now and you're going to be locked up for life. Is that what you want?" She smirked and rolled her eyes.

"Honestly, I couldn't care less. I finally achieved my lifelong goal. I did it for you, Mom." Junko stared up at the ceiling with a satisfied smile on her face. She looked back at me and took another step closer. "I managed to slip through the cops' fingers once, and I can do it again so if you'll let me walk by..."

"Sorry, but I can't do that." She looked at me up and down. I didn't think it was possible for her grin to stretch from ear to ear, but it did as she raised the knife.

"Oh, Kokichi. I wasn't planning on killing another, but you leave me no choice." As soon as she said that Junko lunged towards me. My feet were frozen to the ground, and I tried to move, but in that second, I felt a warm piercing sensation in my body.