Chapter 24: Losing my best friend? III

I happily walked out of my house and saw the car in front of me. "Good morning, Rantaro."

He smiled softly. "Good morning." We walked to school together and noticed a few stares from people including Shuichi and Tsumugi. I wanted to say something, but continued walking until we reached my locker. I turned to Rantaro and smiled.

"I need to thank you, again." He shook his head.

"Why thank me?" Last night, Rantaro confessed his feelings and asked if I wanted to be his girlfriend.

Jazz was playing softly in the background and the warmth of the restaurant was supposed to make me feel happy and comfortable, but at this moment I felt confused, shocked, and guilty. "Rantaro..." That was all I could utter. I felt a tear fall down my cheek. His words were so sweet and I thought about the memories we shared. I've never had that much fun working on a math project. Aimi and Yuki were the little sisters I never had and Rantaro always kind to me. What reason did I have to say no? I should've been happy, but I wasn't because Shuichi appeared in my head. "I'm so sorry." I expected a frown, but he gave me a smile of expectancy.

"I knew you wouldn't say yes, but it was painful hiding these feelings from you. I'm glad I could finally let you know." We both got out of the booth and he wrapped his arms around me. "I don't mind being your friend, Kaede. My only fear was that asking you out might've ruined our friendship." I looked at him surprised.

"Of course not! I'm so glad you're my friend, Rantaro, and I love Aimi and Yuki. Please don't stop being friends with me." He smiled and nodded his head. Even at this moment, he's so mature and considerate. We sat back down and took a deep breath.

"Glad that's over with." We both laughed. "I just have one question... Do you like somebody else?" My eyes widened and I immediately thought of Shuichi. I didn't answer Rantaro, but he didn't ask again.

"I'm really glad we're still friends, Rantaro." He patted my head causing me to blush. I turned to Shuichi and saw Tsumugi laughing putting her hand on him. My smiled faded quickly into a frown as my fists clenched tightly.

"Kaede. I know I asked if you liked somebody, but I already knew the answer to that." I turned to him. "I know you like Shuichi."

"What?! No, I don't!"

"I see the way you look at him. I also see the way he looks at you. He likes you, too. It pains me to say this, but I think you two should be together." What he said really struck me.

"Shuichi likes me?" He sighed shaking his head.

"You haven't noticed? The guy's always looking at you even when talking to that girl. But if you don't tell him now, he may lose that feeling." I felt a surge of confidence and nodded.

"Thank you, Rantaro. I'll tell him." I put my backpack down and turned to Shuichi who was still looking at Tsumugi. Although she was talking, he didn't seem happy at all. Memories washed over me of all the times we laughed and smiled. I though about all of the times he came over to my house, the time I showed him my childhood park, going to his house, the hugs, the kisses. I knew what we had was more than friendship and I was ready to confess my feelings. "Shu-" I paused when I heard my phone beeping quickly. I picked it up and saw the girl's group chat. What is this?

Miu: Kaede get your mans.

Tenko: Shuichi or Rantaro?

Maki: Shut up, Tenko.

Mikan: Are you talking about Tsumugi's photo on Monogram?

Miu: Yep, I bet he saw the video and wanted to get back at her