Chapter 11: Playing for my best friend I

I woke up with my blanket covering my body. "Was that a dream?" I woke up feeling much better than before: like a weight was lifted off of my heart. I looked to see that there were no plates on my desk. I slowly walked to the kitchen and saw him. He was only wearing his white button up. His sleeves were folded up as he washed the dishes. "S-shuichi?" My voice came out groggy. He smiled as he turned towards me.

"Hey, Kaede. Are you feeling better?" I thought about what he asked. I realized that me crying into his chest was not a dream and my face turned extremely red. As soon as I turned to the kitchen mirror and saw my messy hair and puffy eyes, I immediately ran upstairs. I sobbed in front of Shuichi! I was a complete mess in front of him! I felt like dying at that moment out of pure embarrassment. I splashed some water on my face and fixed my hair. I jumped when I heard knocking on my door.

"C-come in!" Shuichi slowly opened the door. "Shuichi. I'm sorry about that... I'm feeling better now, thank you."

"I'm glad." He didn't say anything else. What could he be thinking about?

"I'm also sorry about... Dirtying your shirt." I sat on my bed looking down.

"Hey don't worry about it. I'm just glad you feel better." He sat down next to me. "I won't mention it to anybody." I looked at him. He thought I was worried about him mentioning it to someone? I mean that's half true, but it's more like... What does he think of me?

"Thank you..."

"For what?"

"For being really supportive. I haven't opened up my feelings like that or even told anyone about my parents. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders." I leaned in and hugged him tightly. I felt my body relax when I felt his arms wrap around my body.

"I'm always here for you, Kaede, because I know you would do the same for me." Of course I would... But, I feel like I can still see so much of him that he hasn't told me. I separated myself and looked into his eyes. I put my hand on his face. He didn't say anything. I've never felt so close to someone before.

"I want to stay like this..." I realized that I had said that out loud. For a moment, he closed his eyes and held my hand that was on his cheek, but then he lowered it. Does he not feel the same way?

"I want you to play... Can you play a song for me?" I blushed looking away. I didn't expect that. I nodded and got up to sit in front of my piano. I sat down lifting the head and thought hard about the song I was going to play. Then Claire De Lune by Debussy played in my head. That song reminds me of Shuichi. I started playing it with a smile on my face, feeling my body teleport into my own private world.

When I finished, I looked at Shuichi nervously. I couldn't tell what thoughts were going through his head. "Kaede... You're amazing." I blushed softly.

"Thank you. We should probably do some homework." We took out our backpacks and started working. Although I didn't practice that day, I felt a lot more confident about tomorrow. Shuichi is actually really smart. He sped through his work, but it seemed like something was disturbing him.

"I should get going now," he said. When he stood up, I took his hand.

"Wait, is something wrong?"

"Not at all, Kaede. I'll see you tomorrow." He gave me a smile and then picked up his shirt and backpack leaving.

~Shuichi's POV~

"I'm always here for you, Kaede, because I know you would do the same for me." She didn't react, but instead put her hand on my cheek. Her hand was so warm and soft. I've never felt this close to someone before. While she was taking a nap I was thinking about her past. The way her parents died. It sounded so familiar.

"I want to stay like this..." She said quietly. I was surprised. What did she mean by that? Stay close to each other? Stay friends? Stay in this moment? The time we kissed on the ferris wheel appeared in my head. I can't get it out of my head. Does she think about it, too? I wanted her to keep holding me, but then I thought about her piano. I took her hand with mine.

"I want you to play... Can you play a song for me?" I don't know what came over me, but I remembered her face when she played the piano. It was so beautiful. The face of someone who found her own world. She agreed and got up to sit on her piano. She then started playing a beautiful melody. I couldn't recognize it, but a lot of emotions filled my heart. Her face showed that exact expression that I saw on the first day of school. Yet, I saw passion and sadness mixed together. Like hope trying overcoming a long-lasting despair. I was completely drawn in. Before I knew it, the song ended.

We started working on our homework, but I kept thinking about her parents. Their death... Like a case my uncle had. I remember seeing one similar to her story, but I can't put my finger on it. Is it just a coincidence?

After a couple of hours, I finished and decided to get going. It was getting pretty late.

"I should get going now," I said. As soon as I got up I felt her soft hand hold onto my wrist.

"Wait, is something wrong?" she asked. I couldn't tell her what was going through my head.

"Not at all, Kaede. I'll see you tomorrow." I picked up my shirt and backpack leaving her house. I got into my car and drove home. I went straight into my uncle's office and looked through his files. "Akamatsu..."

I found a file called Akamatsu, but I couldn't open it. What am I doing? There's so many things wrong about this... I put the file back into his drawer and closed it heading into my room. I took off my shirt and threw both of them into the laundry basket lying onto my bed. "Kaede..." I still remember her crying into my chest until she fell asleep. Then I remembered the melody of the song she played. I feel like there's a reason she chose that song... I soon felt my eyes close and sleep take over me.

Uploads every Monday, Wednesday, Friday