Chapter 30: Accidents Happen I

~ Kaede's POV ~

    When Rantaro and I sat in our usual seats, Ms. Shiho released the grades for the project. "Yay, we got an A+!" I hugged him tightly, but he didn't seem extremely happy. "Is something wrong?"

    "No, no. Sorry, just thinking about something."

    "You always are. You know what? We need to celebrate!" The boy looked at me weirdly. "You, me, and my friends are going to karaoke!"

    "Woah, I'm not a-" I put a finger on his lip grinning.

    "No arguments. This Friday, after school." The bell rang and I left class not allowing the boy to say more. I saw Shuichi hanging by his locker and quickly put my books away before heading towards him. "Hey, Shuichi!" He turned to me, running his fingers through his hair and smiling at my direction. I could still feel butterflies in my stomach when I look at him. He's always got that far-away look in his eyes and it's so mysterious, but alluring in the same time, and when he looks at me with such innocent eyes, I can't look away.

       "Hey, Kaede." I wrapped my arms around his neck as he wrapped his around my waist embracing me. The melody of his heart beat was echoing in my head filling me with happiness and passion. I noticed some people looking our direction. "How was class?" he asked as we pulled away, but still held hands.

       "Good! Rantaro and I got an A on our project so we were thinking of all of us celebrating with karaoke. What do you think?"

    "Congrats, Kaede. I would love to go. Does everyone else know?" I shook my head and noticed a girl running down the hallway. She was looking down at the ground while clutching onto her books. "Hey..." In the blink of an eye, I saw her push aside a boy next to us and his cup was hurling at our direction.

    "Shuichi, watch out!" I quickly pushed him out of the way and shielded myself causing the liquid to splash onto my hands. The moment it did, a burning sensation engulfed my senses. "Ahh!" I screamed as the liquid began to burn my skin. A lot of students turned to my direction and the hallways started to fill with even more chatter.

    "Kaede!" I felt my knees giving out causing me to fall on the floor, but before I did, Shuichi caught me in his arms. His eyes were wide as he held me close inspecting my hands. We both turned to the boy who had an extremely guilty look on his face.

"Kaede, I am so sorry! S-someone pushed me!"

"It's fine, it wasn't your fault," Shuichi said with a cold expression. He looked towards the direction the girl ran off to, but she was long gone.

"She didn't even stop..." I said quietly gripping onto my hands.

"We'll figure it out later. We need to get you to the nurse." Shuichi stood up quickly with me in his arms and headed towards the nurse's office.

Nurse Hannah opened her door with a concerned look as she saw Shuichi holding me in his arms. He gently put me down and stayed outside. Nurse Hannah's eyes widened when she saw my red hands.

       "May I take off your shirt, Kaede?" I nodded and she gingerly undressed me before examining my hands. "Please explain to me what happened."

      "I'm honestly not sure. A student was rushing down the hallway and pushed another student causing him to spill his drink on me." The nurse looked at me with an eyebrow raised, but didn't question my statement. She immediately filled a bowl with water and then signalled for me to put my hands in it.

     "This is why kids shouldn't be running in the hallway," she murmured while examining my hands. "Keep your hands in there for a while. How much does it hurt?"