Prologue

First off, this damn idea came in my mind out of nowhere. I don't even know how this is. So bare with me. This is just my second book! 😭

||◻️||◻️||

The sound of the sticks colliding filled the almost empty gym. Passers-by gave the two of them weird looks.

But they could care less. They have been trying to get a hit at each other with the sticks. But they couldn't because both of them know each others strengths and weaknesses.

"Remind me why are we using sticks again?" Lexi asked Alex as she attempted to hit him on his side but he blocked.

"Mike says and I quote, what will you do, when someone approaches you with a stick and you don't know how to use one?" Alex replied.

"We use our punches," Lexi said as she blocked one of his hits.

"That's what I said. He replied that our punches and kicks are enough to defend ourselves and not fight against them."

"That's pure and utter crap!"

"I can hear you guys, you know that right?" Someone yelled.

They both stopped and turned to see Mike looking at them train.

"Yeah, we're aware of that," Lexi replied.

"And that was exactly why we were talking right in front of you," Alex added.

Mike shook his head. "I can't believe you guys. Anyways, the training session is over. Your mom's calling you home." He said as he took the sticks from them.

"But we were having fun," Lexi said.

"You come here every week anyway so you can have more fun," Mike said over his shoulder.

The twins sighed at the same time.

"I'll meet you outside after you change alright?" Alex asked.

Lexi nodded and Alex placed a kiss on her forehead before they both parted ways, heading off in the direction of the changing room.

||◻️||◻️||

Lexi pulled her duffel over her shoulder in a way that the strap was going diagonally across her torso.

She walked out of the changing room and stepped out of the double glass doors after saying bye to Mike.

As promised, Alex met Lexi outside the gym.

"Ready to go?" He asked her.

She rolled her eyes and replied, "I wouldn't have come outside if I wasn't."

Alex gave a low chuckle. He threw his arm around his sister's shoulders and both of them started to make their way to the apartment where they have spent their whole lives.

They reached the alleyway in about ten minutes.

They walked forward into it until they reached a set of white metal stairs. The stairs were rusty due to being used for years.

They ascended the stairs and reached the door.

Alex opened the door with his spare key.

"You should really make a spare key for yourself, Lex," Alex said as he walked in.

"I don't need to because I barely get out of the apartment." She replied as she put her duffel on the couch.

"Mom! We're back!" Alex shouted.

A woman with shoulder-length, dark brown hair and chocolate brown eyes appeared in the living room where they were.

"Glad you guys are back. I was beginning to think something bad happened to both of you." She said going into the kitchen.

"Mom, you know that if danger was to arrive, we could take care of our selves," Alex said as he followed her.

"Don't get too ahead of yourself Alex. You never know what's gonna happen in the next two minutes," Anna replied.

"I know what will happen in the next two minutes. I'm going to eat the most delicious food ever. That too made by my lovely mom." Alex said as he side hugged his mother.

Anna hummed and said, "That doesn't work on me anymore, young man. You make your own food."

Lexi burst out laughing.

"I thought you would've forgotten about what happened this morning but apparently you didn't. Sucks for you Alex." She said.

"Hey! In my defense, that coffee maker was complicated to use. I couldn't understand anything." Alex said.

"You put the whole thing on fire! I'm still wondering how you managed to do that." She said, pulling a stool from under the counter and sitting on it.

"I don't know it either," Alex said coping her actions.

"Alex, I made enough food for two people and I'm not really that hungry. So you could eat my half." Anna said, after turning to look at her children.

"Are you okay, mom? You didn't eat anything yesterday either." Alex said, concerned.

"I'm fine, baby. It's okay. But you have to make breakfast tomorrow." Anna replied.

Alex groaned like it was the last thing he wanted to do. But he broke his mom's precious coffee maker. He has to do it.

||◻️||◻️||

After dinner, both of them went to their room. Yes, the apartment is too small that they have to share the same room.

They have two beds though, so it's not that complicated.

"Do you think mom's okay? She hasn't been eating properly for the whole week." Alex said. He was laying on his bed, looking up at the chipping white paint on the ceiling.

"I don't think so," Lexi replied. "But I think she would tell us when she's ready." She added.

"I hope so," Alex mumbled.

Lexi turned off the night lamp.

"Night, Lexi." She heard Alex say.

"Night, Alex." She said before drifting into darkness.