Chapter 6

Alexander's POV:

Next morning, Lexi and I were woken up by Mike.

"Come on. You both have school." He said after he saw us awake.

He drove us home first for us to get ready and not smell like antiseptic as he put it.

I was ready by the time Lexi came to do her hair.

"You should just leave it like as it is." I suggested as I picked up my school bag and put it on one shoulder.

"There are tangles in this thing and I definitely don't like them." She said and went back to brushing her hair.

"Whatever. Anyway, I'm going down. Don't be late." I said and went out of our room.

Behind me I heard her yell, "I'm never late!"

I shook my head and opened the front door and descended the stairs where Mike's car was.

"Can't you just get us a car or a bike or something?" I asked him as I sat in the passenger seat of his car.

"Can you afford it?" He asked.

I thought about it. "No."

"My thoughts exactly."

"But really. Can we get one or no?"

"You can if you save up enough money. And not spend it on stupid stuff."

"Oh come on! I thought it was cool."

"The thing barely lasted a week."

Let me explain, when I was 10, I spend all my savings on a remote control car that looked cool. Turns out, it broke in just a week.

"Where's your sister?" Mike asked.

"She should be here soon." I answered looking out the window to the door of the apartment.

True to my word, she came out five minutes later.

She sat in the backseat of the car.

"Can't we skip this torture?" She asked when she shut the door.

"No." Mike answered.

"Why not?"

"Because this is school and school is important."

Lexi grumbled something under her breath then shut up.

||◻️||◻️||

At school, Lexi and I got out of Mike's car and bid him bye before walking into the school.

I was at my locker when my best friend, Chris, approached me.

"Hey man!" He greeted.

"Hey."

"You don't look so good. You okay?"

"Spend the night at the hospital. What do you expect?" I said as I slammed locker shut and started to walked towards where Lexi's locker is.

"For you to smell like alcohol and what were you doing at a hospital, anyway?" He asked.

I then proceed to tell him about my mom's health, our visit to our father's house ending with the present.

"Dude, that's bad." He said after I finished. "How did it go with your father by the way?"

"His family is.....too smiley. Like the smiles are permanently etched on their faces. So you can guess how it went." I said as we both reached Lexi and her friend, Charlotte or Char.