A tense confession

What followed was barely perceived by my brain. It seemed that I should've followed Paola's advice and stayed in bed. But apparently, I was a stubborn lady. And instead of going straight to meet Annetta, Ezio begged we took a different direction. I followed him, praying that we'd be safe at home quickly so I'd be able to get some rest. Eventually, we stopped in front of a rather tall building, and its 3rd window was open. I waited for him as he climbed up to it. I cracked a smile. Cristina. Of course he'd come for her, now that he was surely leaving Florence. I honestly felt bad for them. Ezio loved her dearly, that much was clear. But they'd be forced apart by a life Ezio did not choose. I knew that once in Monteriggioni, he'd become an Assassin. Such was his destiny, and such was my mission to be his shield.

Ezio came back down a few moments later, taking a deep breath. "I need to go to the Porta San Niccolò. That's where they took my father and brothers. I....I need to bury them."

"I'll help you." I immediately said, but he shook his head.

"I can see it in your eyes. You're in pain." he said with a grave tone. "Were you injured back there?"

"No, it's....just a splitting headache." I confessed. "I woke up this morning. Apparently I hit my head somewhere, but I don't recall even having an accident. The doctor had instructed me to stay in bed, but I couldn't. I needed to come to you."

"You are going to explain a lot once we get to safety." he thought for a few moments. "There are a few benches nearby. You could sit and wait for me to get back. I won't be long."

"No, I refuse to wait." I shook my head. "I want to help."

"In your condition, you won't be helping." he sighed. "Please. Just wait here. I'll be back to pick you up."

I sighed, knowing there was no way I'd win. "Bene (alright)....just...be careful, okay?"

"I will." he nodded and gently led me to a bench right next to Cristina's house before swiftly climbing up onto the safety of rooftops. I closed my eyes, cursing softly. How the fuck was I going to serve as his shield if he was the one protecting me?! I wasn't having it. Ignoring my headache, I stood up and hurriedly walked towards la Porta San Niccolò. At least, I tried, knowing I had no idea where it was. Fortunately, a kind passerby gave me directions. By the time I got there, Ezio already had his father's body in his arms, walking down a few set of stairs. The bodies of Petruccio and Federico still lay on the cold ground, and right then and there, all I wanted was to murder a guard or two for carelessly leaving their bodies like that in the open.

Ezio came back once more, and I swiftly ducked behind a few crates so he wouldn't see me. He delicately picked up Federico's body next, following the exact same path down the stairs as he had done for his father. However, he hadn't predicted one thing. The arrival of another guard. His back was facing me, but I knew I had to be careful as to not make any noise. The two other guards that had once been surveilling the bodies left, probably thinking that they had something better to do. That weird feeling from before came yet again. I knew what to do. I slowly approached the guard, and swiftly snapped his neck. He didn't even have time to scream. I wrapped my arms around him and proceeded to drag him back to the crates I had been hiding in, hissing in pain as my headache seemed to get worse. By the time I was done, I heard someone clear his throat behind me. "You are even more stubborn than I thought." he said with a slight hint of amusement, crossing his arms over his chest.