Nature's way of unfolding

My dearest diary

Tonight, as I sit behind Antonio's desk gazing up into the starry sky, I write with a steady hand and a soaring heart. Ezio is away, infiltrating a private party so he could kill Marco Barbarigo. Though do not take my happiness for granted, for Rosa might come back any moment now. And boy, do I not want to listen to her right now.

For several weeks now, I've been feeling...weird. What first were a few moments of fatigue, grew to back pain, light cramps, exhaustion...the other day, I nearly fainted as Ezio and I ran up on the rooftops. Ever since that incident, I've been forced to stay in bed, much to my dismay. No more stargazing up on the roofs at night, no more running, climbing, Leaps of Faith... I've grown used to this lifestyle. For 9 years, this is all I've ever known. And now, taking the time to stop and do nothing like I used to do back in my era, it just feels....wrong.

But I won't go against Ezio's request on this one. He really seemed to be concerned. But damn it...we were really looking forward to spending this year's Carnevale as we usually do: dancing away in a small alley-way with the sound of lively music playing in the distance. Then, dinner for two on the rooftops. Once, he even dared me to jump down into the canal, but February waters aren't the warmest. So, I ended up refusing, even though all I wanted was to throw him face first into the canal myself. Even now as I write, the thought of seeing Ezio soaked and shivering makes me giggle.

If this Assassination goes well - as it most likely will, by tomorrow, Ezio and I will be on a ship back to Forlì. When I first asked him about it, he simply said that he wanted me to recover in peace back in Monteriggioni while he dealt with the remaining targets. Though I know that he means well, it will feel so wrong, as a woman on a mission and as his girlfriend, to stay in Monteriggioni with Claudia and Mario while he travels back to Venezia. Who will protect him during more dangerous missions? Who will be there to keep him company? He'd be all alone, like he was back when I was Assassinating for Il Magnifico, in '78. I don't want that. The thought of it makes my heart weep. But I shall return soon. This is probably nothing a few days of rest won't sol-

I quickly stood from my chair and ran back to my bed as I heard commotion right on the other side of the door. I barely had time to cover myself up with the blankets and close my eyes before I heard someone stepping into the thieves' guild. Through the sound of his footsteps, I could tell it was a man. Strong, sure, but surprisingly soft. I kept pretending to be asleep, even as I felt the light pressure of a hand against my hair. I couldn't prevent a smile from painting my lips. There was only one man who would do this. "Ben tornato (Welcome back), Ezio...~" I breathed out tenderly as I cracked an eye open. And much to my joy, I was right.

"Ehi (Hey)...~" he smiled as he moved to lay by my side, over the sheets. "How do you feel...?"

"A bit better...my back still hurts though..." I grimaced, moving closer to him. "Do I really have to go back to Monteriggioni...? Don't get me wrong, I love it there. Especially now that the town's being fully restored thanks to our investments, but...it won't be the same without you."

"I know, I know." He nodded. "Trust me, I don't want you to go either... But I prefer to have you there knowing that you'll be alright rather than here...plus, you can keep an eye on mother and Claudia for me."

"Speaking of which, I...wasn't really meant to tell you, but I overheard you and Mario talking the last time we went to Monteriggioni." I frowned. "He thinks you're wasting your time collecting those feathers....but I don't. I beg of you, don't listen to him...your mother needs you, more than anything."