Home

A/N: The pic above belongs to the immensely talented sunsetagain. I absolutely love this artist's work. It's so stylish and intricate. 

Whooo, this chapter was NOT a fun one to write. Damn, my heart... T A T
Warning: prepare some tissues. XD

So, yeah! Here's chapter 33 at long last!! Forgive me for the long wait. I spent a long time getting ready emotionally before I could even dare to start writing.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The corridor had been plunged into a deep darkness. If it wasn't for the torch Ezio was holding, it would've been impossible to see what was ahead of us. I noticed, much to my relief, that the door remained open behind us, proof that if something were to happen to us, Yusuf would be able to come to our aid. Grazie dio (Thank God)..., I found myself thinking with a light sigh of relief. I looked back towards Yusuf and Sofia, who were gazing at us expectantly. I gave them a soft wave before I focused my gaze on the road ahead of us, noticing, thanks to the torch that Ezio was holding, that there was a set of stairs leading us further down. This was it... there was no turning back now. I tangled my trembling fingers with Ezio's as I let out a shaky breath. I was terrified. But we have already come this far... 

"Stai pronta (Are you ready)...?" Ezio's deep voice reached my ears, and it felt like I was given a lifejacket as I swam in stormy seas. I took a deep breath before I looked up at him, cracking a smile. 

"As ready as one can be, I guess..." I shrugged out. "I'm terrified, truth be told...this is where my journey is meant to end..." 

"If It does end..." Ezio began, and I let out a shaky breath as I suddenly felt his soft lips against the knuckles of my hand. "Then I will be right there. Always..." 

"Always..." I breathed out. "Ezio...if Minerva does take me away...will you tell Aurora and Leandro how much I love them...?" 

"Ma certo che lo farò (But of course I will)..." He replied almost instantly, before I felt his warm hand delicately cupping my cheek. "But promise me you will fight... Promise me you will try to stay here with us..." 

"Of course I promise..." I leaned into his affectionate touch, feeling tears prickling at my eyes. "Insieme (Together)...?" 

"Insieme (Together)..." he lightly kissed my forehead before we finally began to venture down the stairs, never parting ways as he held my hand. As we reached the last steps, we noticed that there was a torch hung up on the wall. It had long-since been extinguished, probably by Altaïr himself before he left. I watched as Ezio lit it up, revealing more torches lining the corridor. We lit them up as we went along, but honestly, I couldn't tear my eyes away from Ezio. I don't want to leave him... I can't...

Finally, we reached a great chamber of pale stone. Everything was too dark to get any major details, but even from the entryway, we could see great black masses that turned out to be rows upon rows of shelves, along with empty chairs. I walked over to one of the shelves, only to find myself flabbergasted. 

"They're...empty..." I breathed out, frowning in confusion. I looked over the other shelves, and indeed, they were all empty. I observed the shelf before me with great confusion. No one could've gotten in before us to steal the books, as the keys were still in their original location. Beyond that, there was a uniform layer of dust on the surface of the dark wood. Had there been any books beforehand, the layer of dust would've indicated so. Yet this layer was so uniform... "I don't understand." I shook my head as I walked back to Ezio. "The shelves are completely empty. No one could've come in here, which means-"