Episode 18: (Fire vs. Ice)

"I think this is it." P.I.X.A.L. shouted at Kai.

"You think the big, intimidating, icy looking castle is not where Zane is trapped?" Kai responded.

"No I think it is." P.I.X.A.L. said. Kai sighed.

"I was being sarcastic P.I.X.A.L." He said. P.I.X.A.L. surveyed the area.

"There's an entrance right over there." P.I.X.A.L. pointed to an unguarded doorway, and the two guards switched shifts to the oncoming guards.

"Let's go." Kai whispered. Kai and P.I.X.A.L. dashed to the door, and right when the guards turned to face the door, they made it inside.

"Where are we? Why is it so cold?" Kai said, summoning his flames. P.I.X.A.L. stood, trying to pinpoint Zane's signal.

"I don't know why it's cold, but I know where we are. Or more correctly, where Zane is. Follow me." P.I.X.A.L. said. She took off, and Kai ran to follow her.

They continued running, and dodging the guards in an attempt to remain discreet and unnoticed.

"Haven't we passed here before?" Kai said, pointing to a column he had seen three times. P.I.X.A.L. stopped, and again reviewed Zane's signal.

"Weird. It says he should be near here, but why aren't we making progress?" P.I.X.A.L. muttered.

Kai sighed. "I hope the others are doing better than us. This place feels like a maze." He groaned.

"Perhaps because it is a maze." Kai turned to look at P.I.X.A.L.

"I just scanned this building again, and the schmatics have changed. The walls and floors keep rotating shape, but.."

"But?" Kai asked.

"There is a room that stays in the same position. Let's try going there."

"But what about Zane?" Kai asked.

"I can't seem to find his location anymore. It's like he turned if off or something" P.I.X.A.L. replied.

"Weird" Kai muttered.

P.I.X.A.L. again took the lead, and the two found themselves in front of two large doors.

"Uh P.I.X.A.L., I think we're not supposed to go into the boss's room until we find our friend." Kai pointed out.

"Is there a better option?" P.I.X.A.L. replied. Kai shook his head, and the two pushed open the gates.

Kai and P.I.X.A.L. marched towards. The room held ice shards, and Kai and P.I.X.A.L. looked in wonder.

"For a place so dangerous, this is amazing." Kai's voice echoed through the walls.

"More like amazingly dangerous." P.I.X.A.L. said. Kai frowned.

"I think it's cool."

"Actually Kai, this is dangerous. The water vapor in the air has been--"

"--Replaced with ice." Kai and P.I.X.A.L. turned to see a figure at the top of a throne. The figure held a staff, and looked at the two with cold, blue eyes.

Kai jumped into position, and threw flames at the figure. The figure stared at the flames, and they disappeared.

"The ice emperor." Kai said menacingly. The figure smiled, and the doors locked behind the duo.

"We're trapped." P.I.X.A.L. said.

"Yes, but he's in with us!" Kai said, throwing flames at the figure. Dressed in full armor, the figure again nullified the flames in mid air. He then struck the ground, and the ice which had hovered in mid-air started raining down on them.

"Get down!" Kai screamed. P.I.X.A.L. brought out two katana and sliced the ice, while Kai attempted to throw a fire barrier up. When it didn't work, he instead dodged the ice.

"Why aren't my flames working again?" Kai screamed. A large row of ice headed to Kai, and he ran to avoid it. The temperature steadily continued to decrease, and Kai crumpled to the floor with it.

"Kai!" P.I.X.A.L. shouted. The fire ninja turned a shade of blue, and P.I.X.A.L. took this opportunity to launch herself at the ice emperor. The emperor only glanced in her direction when she felt her momentum stop. P.I.X.A.L. looked down to find ice locking her in place, quickly escalating up her body.

The emperor ignored P.I.X.A.L. and instead headed towards Kai.

"Leave him alone!" P.I.X.A.L. threw a katana at the emperor, who threw his hand up and blocked it. The katana clanged to the floor.

The emperor towered over Kai, and Kai felt a fresh wave of ice blast over him. He tried to block it with his arms, but felt his arms becoming leaden with the ice. Kai began screaming in pain.

The emperor pushed his staff against Kai's throat, and P.I.X.A.L. watched in horror as Kai became entombed in ice.

"We, will stop you." Kai whispered, unable to breath with his lungs frozen. A chuckle emerged from the figure, and Kai stared at him.

"I suppose I have no need for this." The figure tossed away his helmet, and Kai gasped. P.I.X.A.L., unable to move her body, turned her head and watched in equal shock. The two watched Zane, the friend they had sought the entire time, pointing the staff against Kai's throat.