IV.

"In omina paratus." -Latin Phrase

Ready for anything.

Edward, as much as his mother disagreed, entered the local conservatory instead of entering law school. It was a big deal for Edward's mom because she dreams of him becoming a doctor or a lawyer. Edward, on the other hand, proved his mother that he was a better musician than a future doctor or lawyer.

He was determined to prove himself worthy of becoming a great soloist. First, he has to be better at music theory and be less shy about performing. He did not have stage fright but it was normal for him to feel nervous. Edward was just scared of messing up in front of spectators. He needs to get over that fear before he could prove himself.

He also needs to work on his bowing technique and a few more problems until his playing is impeccable. He needs to find a teacher to get better at his technique. He will have to find someone who he wants to be as good as. For now, he needs to study more music theory.

His first year of conservatory, he was watching a player closely. His name was Brett Yang. He was already on his second year and because of taking advance classes, he was about to graduate the same time Eddy will be done with his first year. He was a year ahead of Eddy and people say that he was cold and aloof.

Still, Eddy wants to be taught by Brett. He sees how great he could be with Brett as his mentor. He doesn't want to shock the older man. So, even if it seemed unusual, Eddy watched from afar. He watched him for an entire year and just did his best for the conservatory and his grades.

By the end of his first year, he was determined to ask Brett Yang to be his mentor. Edward had a summer vacation to improve before he could show his capabilities to Brett. He works hard on his scales, bowing technique, posture and almost anything he could be judged on. He tries to not be tense about his playing.

His summer vacation consists on going to other teachers and improving even more. He claimed that his not doing it for Brett but for himself. It was true. He would not go through all of these if he was doing it for someone else.

A thing about Edward: he did not really care that much about who he will love and who will love him. He just allowed the world to decide for him, going with the flow and never ever think of going against it. Love was love and its natural force shouldn't really be stopped. At least that's what he believed.

It even goes with everything he is passionate about. He studied in the conservatory because he feels that the world wanted him to be a great violinist. He is improving himself because he wants to fulfill the purpose that the world was trying to tell him. He also believed that only with his hard work, he could accomplish this passion or calling of his.

It might even be applicable to the fact that his gut feeling is telling him that he should be mentored by Brett Yang. It just seemed like that the man could make him better, not just his playing. As he thought before, he is improving so the world could see more of him. It's right, oh, so right to be performing. Edward Chen simply could not wait to share his passions and his entirety to the world.

Edward sighed, reminiscing how Brett Yang was playing. What they said about him and his playing was simply the truth. It puzzled Edward that Brett could look so stoic and cold, but his playing is the warmest, most passionate and emotional you'd ever hear.

It was like how he thought of the world's natural forces. Brett Yang's playing will pull you in and you won't find yourself looking for another tone. Edward remembered the first few notes of Beethoven's spring sonata. How Brett played it as if it was written for him.

How you could picture spring by his playing. The flowers are blooming, pollen in the air, the weather is perfect, the sun was shining and the breeze was a perfect balance from the warmth of the sun; Brett captured all these imagery by just how he played it.

Edward believed that somewhere under that perfect imagery just felt a bit too mellow. Something about how he played it made it seem like the spectator of the scenery was sad about something. Something that might be very significant and prominently sad.

It seemed like a lover saying goodbye, or the feeling of a child when one of his parents go to work, or the longing of love that simply cannot or will not be yours. Edward cannot relate since the biggest heartbreak that he had ever had during the spring was the lost of his father. His face lit up and felt like he had cracked a code. Maybe Brett Yang did lose someone dearly to him during the spring, too.

Edward only thought so because it seems like you would not pick it up from Brett's playing unless you listened closely. He wished that he had a way to repeat what he had heard Brett play so that he could play it over and over again. He guessed that it was true, what they say. Brett Yang does not just play the violin but he plays with your emotions, too.

Nevertheless, Edward thought it was beautiful and engaging. It was his inspiration on improving. He wanted that connection with people that he shall be playing for in the future. For now, though, he should think about his the technicalities of his playing.

How his projection could be maximized, how his intonation could be better, how his bowing technique could be a bit more perfect and mostly, he needs to think of the flexibility of his left hand fingers. He shall fix this step by step before he could dare ask Brett Yang to be his mentor. Edward believed that great things come from small beginnings.

After a long and focused practice session, Edward Chen gets out of his room and fixed himself a cup of tea. He made sure that he properly boiled the water before putting in his tea. He allowed the tea to steep and when it's strong enough, he used the strainer and put the tea in his cup. The tea's aroma spread across the room and it calmed him down.

He went out of the kitchen and sat on the couch that was closest to the largest window they had. The sun was already setting, painting the walls of his house an array of soft and beautiful colors. He took a sip of his tea and felt its warmth spread, starting from the stomach and eventually moved to his entire body.

He was alone in the house because his mom and sister were out working. He closed his eyes and took in the warmth of the atmosphere. When he finished his tea, he started to fix dinner for the three of them since he knew that they'd be back home soon. He happily did this because it was the only way he could help for now.

As he was cooking, he felt a particularly cold breeze hit his body. It seemed as though along with the breeze, he heard a voice. A voice too familiar for his own liking. It vaguely resembled the words "I love you, Eddy."

It seemed as though Edward's world suddenly stopped. It was nothing out of the ordinary for him to remember what his father's voice sounded like, but this time it felt so real and so raw. Almost as if Edward's father was near him, almost as though he was still alive. Edward Chen felt the tears flow down his cheeks, blurring his vision. He, however, did not stop what he was doing.

He wiped his cheeks, carried on with whatever he was cooking and whispered back to the wind.

"I love you too, Pa. I'll be reaching my dream soon. I hope that you're proud of me."

With that, he was finished cooking and the women of his life arrived. They were tired but glad that Edward cooked for them. They started eating together and Edward did not mention what happened to him when he was cooking. He did not want to make them cry.

After everything had been cleaned, he felt the need to lie down and let his mind wander. He does not question why or how he heard his father's voice but he was not complaining. What he questions is the fact that out of nowhere, he just wanted to be mentored by Brett Yang. He sighed, knowing he will never get an answer. It was how the world works for him.