XXXIII.

"Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem." -Horace

Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even.

It turned out that the path Brett chose for himself was a good one full of opportunities and contentment. It has been ten years since he left his hometown in order to go to Vienna as a soloist. Brett chose to ditch his real name back home and known in Vienna as Yosef Kotek. The people close to him only knows his real name. It was ideal for starting over.

He was now thirty-five, an accomplished violin soloist, a musician with a stable and more than enough income to support his family, and a writer in the making. Brett was also given a chance to write novel but he did not publish it under his real name.

He had used the nom de plume, Edward Franz. A tribute to the love of his heart and his first nephew. Yes, it has been ten years since he had left his hometown but he was still in love with Edward Chen. Yes, he was in love still even if he does not know what Eddy's life and appearance was like now.

The novel was about an unnamed narrator and the love of their heart. It was quite a tragic story since the love was never requited but it gave everyone hope. It gave everyone hope that love is the greatest teacher if you let it teach you a lifelong lesson to carry with you until your deathbed.

It taught everyone that you could get back up from any pain you had experienced beforehand. It had taught everyone what unconditional love is. It had taught everyone that there is healing after the pain.

He was just glad that he was given an opportunity to work on a novel and to be one with music constantly.

He got up from his bed and looked at a letter he had received from his brother. It just came in today and it was dated two weeks ago.

September 12, 1875

Dearest old brother,

This is quite abrupt but as soon as you have read my letter, please pack up and go back home as soon as possible. Papa is almost dying, he needs to talk to you and see you one more time before he comes to mama. He requested that I send you a letter while he was still not too weakened. He still needs to say important things to you.

I will explain further when you go home, just hurry back here. And please go immediately to my house. I love you and have a safe travel!

Your dearest brother,

Alexander Yang

Brett did as he was told after asking permission from his patrons. He was not expecting any of this but he did come as soon as he can. He went straight to Alexander's home.

He need not care if he was exhausted nor sleepy, he just needed to see his father now. Brett was greeted at the door by Belle and Franz. He kissed them both on the cheek as a greeting and silently went to the room where their father was staying at.

He carefully kneeled down beside the bed where their father was lying down one. He was covered in a thick blanket and he looked pale, weak and his hair was now completely gray.

"Brett, is that you?" Papa Yang asked, voice raspy and weak. It came out like a whisper but it was now barely audible.

"Yes papa, I am here. You can tell me anything you want to." Brett coaxed, tears welling up his eyes. Brett did not want to see his father to see him cry.

"I am proud of you, Brett Yang. You have done great things. I have read the novel you wrote and it was beautiful. You really do have a way with words. Your mother was right." He said, pausing to take a deep breath. "I do not need to tell you to take care of your brother because I know that you will. He is also capable of taking care of himself. Do not worry too much. I will feel no pain nor misery anymore. I will be with your mother soon."