XXXVIII.

"Sed mulier cupido quod dicit amanti in vento et rapida scribere oportet aqua." -Catullus

But what a woman says to her lover it is best to write in the wind and in the swiftly, flowing water.

"Kotik, it seemed as though you are wrong." Pyotr said as he sat down next to Brett.

They had decided to meet up in Vienna again.

"Why so, Ilyich?" Brett asked.

"Being with her is insufferable. She did not keep our promise and she keeps on asking me to fulfill my marital duties as her husband. Meaning she wants children, Kotik. I do not have anything against children, I just believe that I have not the capability to raise mine. Especially with that insane woman." Pyotr said, crying to Brett. "I am seeking death with a passion than go on and continue this... This sham marriage with that crazy lady." He added.

"Oh, Pyotr, come here..." Brett said as he held Pyotr close to him. "You could get a divorce. You did say that she slept with someone else. That is a ground for divorce in Russia, is it not?" Brett asked.

"It is if she got children out of wedlock... I do not have evidence that Antonina slept with someone. So, I cannot do that." Pyotr said helplessly.

"How about you extend your vacation here for a bit, Pyotr? Get away from her for a couple of weeks and compose here." Brett suggested.

"I could do that, but I am afraid I cannot stay under the same roof as you, Yosef." Pyotr argued.

"Am I that terrible of a cleaner that you cannot stay with me here for longer?" Brett joked as he let go of Pyotr and ruffled with his hair.

"You know that is not the reason, Yosef." Pyotr said seriously.

Brett was alarmed, Pyotr never called him Yosef until something was different.

"I cannot stay with you for long because I just might never return. It feels too domestic too, is it not? I get to wake up to your unfiltered look andl you expect me to not fall any deeper in love with you?" Pyotr warned, looking at Brett.

"I know it is not fair, Pyotr. Yet, I cannot let you go with her because you say you would rather die than be with her. I do not want you to die..." Brett confessed, concerned for his friend's well-being.

"You say that as it you love me now, Yosef."

"I do not love you in the way you love me but I am glad you are in my life. You are one of the best friends I have ever made through music."

"Well, in that case, I will stay with you for a bit longer. Even if I have been here for a month already." Pyotr said, looking softly at the man that will be his death.

Maybe Brett was correct when he told Pyotr that people just might do anything for the one they loved. And of course, Kotik does not need to know about Pyotr's thoughts. They stayed on the living room for a while until they heard a knock on the door.

Brett opened the door.

"Is there a Pyotr Tchaikovsky present here?" The mailman asked.

"Yes, I will hand it to him. Thank you, Mr." Brett said as he grabbed the letter from the man and closed his door.

"Ilyich, a letter from Antonina..." Brett said as he handed it to Pyotr.

"I do not want to read it." Pyotr said stubbornly but grabbed the letter anyway.

"You should read it, maybe she wants a divorce or something." Brett coaxed.

Pyotr looked at him with a knowing look but decided to open the letter and scan it. After a few moments, he looked up to Brett with disbelief.