XXVIII.

"Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non ponitur." -Syrus

We choose to love, we do not choose to cease loving.

Brett was stressed because it is the end of the school year. Eddy was finished with exams and his final performance. He was about to graduate in a few hours and Brett cannot be more excited. He was finally glad that the man was about to take on his soloist dream.

It made Brett Yang truly proud of his beloved.

He will see him later in his graduation hat and robe. He was so happy and excited. He was proud that Eddy graduated with honors. He was beyond happier than anyone else.

He was finally sitting on the faculty's place. They were watching their students graduate and with happy smiles on their faces. The moment that Eddy went up the stage and smiled not on his direction but on his mama and sister's direction.

That was not unusual but what was unusual was the fact that Eddy was wearing a ring on his left hand. It looked pretty new, too. A week ago it was not there. They did not see each other much for the week because Eddy claimed that he was busy and needed to practice for his final performance.

Brett let it go because he did know the feeling. He remembers when he was so stressed out about it, too.

The moment that the ceremony is over, Brett went directly to where Eddy and his family were. It looked like they were happy and rejoicing. Alexander was there with them and Brett spotted Eddy with a girl. They were holding each other's hands.

Brett did not want to assume so he approached them and smiled.

"I am so proud of you, Eddy! Congratulations..." Brett said as he smiled at Eddy.

Brett looked at their interlocked hands and saw how they had matching rings. It cannot be. Not this way.

"Oh, by the way, this is my fiancee, Irene Leung. We have been together for about two years now." Eddy said as he introduced Irene, the woman he was holding hands with.

"Oh, congratulations! It is a double celebration! I cannot believe that she will officially be my sister when they marry." Belle said, happy about the news.

Alexander looked at Brett with confusion and Brett did nothing but shrug.

"Congratulations, Eddy." Brett said, shaking Eddy's hands even if he was hurt, he was still a civil person.

"Thank you." Irene said and smiled at Brett.

She was kind and polite. Brett had no competition against a woman like that. She was beautiful and Brett felt small.

"Do you all mind if I have a moment with Brett? I have to ask him about my performance." Eddy said as he excused himself with Brett.

They went to Brett's classroom and Brett locked the door.

"You have a fiancee?" Brett asked immediately, he was not mad or sad, at least his tone was not.

"Yes. We have been dating for two years. Did you not hear a while ago?" Eddy said as he was getting annoyed.

"Oh... So the last year was nothing to you?" Brett asked, still no emotions evident in his voice.

"It was to get you to teach me. I needed and wanted your full attention so I could be a soloist. Did you really think that I would love someone like you?" Eddy asked, words piercing daggers on Brett's heart but he did not budge.

He knew this day would come and he promised himself that he would not tie Eddy down.

"Well, you did get what you wanted. You will be a soloist next year. I did not think that you needed to be my lover order to get my entire attention. I could have taught you even if I did not love you like that." Brett said calmly. There was no point in getting mad now. The damage had been done.

"It was for stress relief, too. You are good in bed and I needed that since I cannot touch her until we get married. We will marry soon so I do not need you anymore." Eddy said coldly, not caring about Brett's feelings.

Brett knew that this was different from the Eddy he met before. He could never know now, especially when the greatest love of his life was nothing but a fraud. A staged love in order for Eddy to gain something from him.

It was twisted and sick. He cannot believe that he was used. But the sickest and most twisted thing? Brett still loved him even if Eddy's love was fabricated. Even if Eddy's love never existed at all. Still, he did not want to let Eddy feel terrible. Brett did not want Eddy to feel what he was feeling now, so he only could ask his world of one thing.

"I get it, no hard feelings. I doubt that you want to be friends but can we at least pretend for our siblings? I know how much they mean to each other and I do not want to make it difficult for them..." Brett pleaded.

"I mean, that is given. I do not want my sister to worry about us not getting along..." Eddy said, not looking at Brett.

"We should probably meet them outside now. They are waiting for you..." Brett said, walking towards the door. "Oh, and congratulations for the soloist career for next year. And the engagement. You deserve it." Brett said as he smiled at Eddy.

He was happy for Eddy, he truly was. He deserved everything and he worked so hard. Even if it was painful and hard to process for Brett as of the moment, he let it be.

It is the man that he loves, after all.

Eddy did not say anything else as he walked towards his family, rushing to get away from Brett and that classroom. They were having a celebratory lunch at the Chen's and Brett did not want to go and yet he still did so. He cannot show that he was too hurt. Eddy will only view him more pathetic than he already was.

Alexander and Brett were in one carriage. Alexander asked what happened and why he suddenly had a fiancee.

"He did not actually love me. He said that he only did all that so I could have my attention on him and him alone. It did work, but I do not mind." Brett said quietly.

"Brett, he just used you! That is unfair. I do not believe that he strung you along like that! I am so mad at him!" Alexander exclaimed.

"The damage had been done, need not to worry, brother dear. I will be fine, I just need time. Besides, he will be your brother soon. You and Belle will get married next month, right? You should worry about that." Brett coaxed, reassuring his brother that he will be fine.

"I know. Just, do not forget to take care of your heart too, okay? It is as important as I am."

"Of course. I know."

With that, they were at the Chen's household. Papa Yang was already there with the other Chen relatives. Brett knew that they had to sleep in the house again and he was not looking forward to it. While they were eating, a short conversation about the music for Alexander and Belle's wedding came up.

"I have a request. Could Eddy and Brett play at our wedding so that it would be more meaningful?" Belle asked innocently and smiled at Alexander.

"I would be more than happy to play at your wedding, Belle." Eddy said, smiling at her.

"Me too..." Brett said, he was hesitant but it was for his younger brother and soon to be older sister.

"Well, it is settled!" Papa Yang said excitedly as the other members continued to just have sentimental and meaningful conversations.

Brett looked across him and saw Eddy with his wonderful lady. Eddy looked so in love with her, even the way they just stared at each other. He thought that only they shared a look like that but he was wrong.

Their eyes met for a moment and for a split second, Brett felt his heart beat out of his chest. Eddy avoided looking at him and looked at Irene. Brett really was still in love with Eddy. He did not know why, he just was.

Maybe this is what he was talking about. Maybe this is what it really means to love someone unconditionally. You do not mind if they hurt you or if they are imperfect. You love them for their entirety.

Since they were sleeping at the Chen's again, the arrangement changed. It was now Alexander and Belle in her room, Mama Chen and Papa Yang in Eddy's room which has two beds, Eddy and Irene in Mama Chen's room while Brett will be in the couch.

He did not mind. Sleep was not an option tonight, anyway.