XIX.

"Summum bonum." -Cicero

The highest good.

"Brett, have you ever been in love?" Alexander asked, out of the blue.

"Why is the question so sudden, little brother?" Brett asked back.

"Nothing... I was just wondering. It seems as though you do not have a love interest because you are too busy practicing." Alexander said, pointing out the fact that he never heard Brett mention a beloved of his own.

"I believe that I have been in love. Whether subconsciously or not, maybe I have loved before I could even tell it was love..." Brett said, pondering the thought of being in love with Eddy.

Oh, Edward Chen. What are you doing to me?

Brett thought as a smile was planning to escape his lips. He suppressed the smile.

"Always the romantic, are you not, brother dear?" Alexander asked, smiling.

"I am not a romantic. I just let these feelings be. Why did you ask, anyway?"

"I might be, might be, in love with someone..." Alexander confessed, cheeks tinted with a blushing pink.

"Is that so? Tell me about it..." Brett invited, encouraging his brother to talk about this newfound love of his little brother.

"Well, she is beautiful, the most beautiful I have ever seen. I constantly long for her and I am afraid of what people might say about me because she is older. I truly admire her, I feel as though I cannot keep on going if I do not see her. I will go insane without her. And get this, she's a pianist..." Alexander explained, smiling at every detail.

"She is older? How old is she?" Brett asked.

"She's twenty-five, brother dear. Please do not judge me." Alexander warned.

"Oh, Alex, I could never judge you... It might be wrong for other people buy not for me. Love is love and it shall not hold anyone back. Lovely, you are young, but if you love her, then who am I to stop that? Who are they to stop that? Just make sure that if you decide to marry her, make sure you are of legal age." Brett said, accepting his brother's confession but reminding him of his situation.

"Brother, need not to worry. We are not yet together, but she did promise me that she shall wait for me. She will wait until I am of consenting age, an adult man who is earning for us. Brother, she loves me for who I am. Who am I to let her go if she is the God's blessing for me?" Alexander smiled, apologetically.

"That is true... What is her name, by the way?" Brett asked.

"Well, she's Belle Chen. She's a local pianist and I've been courting her ever since the past year."

Eddy's sister.

Brett thought as he smiled.

Hey, if it is meant to be, then it will be.

"Well, I think his brother is a student of mine. Good pupil, especially when he's playing. I privately tutor him." Brett said, not showing his fascination at the situation.

"Is that so?"

"Yes... I mean, all that aside, you'll be working at the firm soon, right?" Brett asked, drifting the conversation away from the topic.

"Yes, brother. I will be working there in a month."

"Well, since you will working next month, how about you save up for your future? I am sure that Belle will appreciate it greatly if you could give her a house by the time you will decide to marry and have children." Brett asked.