XXXV.

"A bove ante, ab asino retro, a muliere undique caveto." -Unknown

Beware of the bull from the front, the donkey from behind, and women from all sides

The time that Edward Chen left that sanctuary of theirs, he went to get a ring. He was decided now. He will propose to Irene Leung. First, he needs to ask for his mother's blessing.

"Ma? Do you have time?" Eddy asked softly as he entered the house.

"Yes, what is it Edward?" Mama Chen asked back, eyes not leaving the cloth she was sewing.

"Ma, I want to marry Irene. I need your blessing so we could go to her family and ask for their families blessing..." Eddy replied quietly.

"Oh, baba, that's great news! I thought you had someone else in mind, but this is good!" Mama Chen rejoiced, hugging how son.

I do have someone else in mind, but you will never approve of him.

Eddy thought as he smiled bitterly. The man he wanted to be with cannot marry him, no matter the circumstances.

"Thank you for the blessing, ma. I will tell her that we will go to her home tomorrow." Eddy said as he hugged his mother.

"I only want the best for you, Eddy. You are welcome." She whispered as he kissed her cheek. "Be safe, alright?" She added, pulling away from the hug.

"I will. Do not worry. I love you..."

"I love you too, Edward. Very much."

As soon as Eddy was out of the door, the tears fell from his face. He did not know if it was from the lying or the tenderness if his mother's love it the fact that he was about to marry someone he did not love, Edward Chen could never know. Still, he pushed through and went to Irene's house so that he could propose.

He knocked on the door and Irene answered.

"What are you doing here, Eddy? Come in..." Irene asked quietly.

Eddy entered, removing his shoes before entering the house.

"Irene, please sit down? I have to ask you something..." Eddy replied, sitting down next to her but leaving a little distance.

"What is it, my love?" She asked as she looked at me with those brown eyes.

"I know we have been together ever since we were nineteen... I am so in love with you and I cannot wait to spend my whole life with you. I may not be the man for you now, but I promise you that I will be. Will you marry me?" Eddy asked as he had gone down on one knee.

"Yes! Of course, I will marry you." Irene said as she pulled the ring off of the box. She put it on and smiled.

Eddy smiled and felt a sense of pride take over his body. His mother just told him she loved him. He was about to get married to a girl that his mother will not be ashamed of. He was finally the son that his mother was always expecting. He was also a local soloist starting next year.

Yet, he cannot shake the thought of leaving Brett alone. A part of him cannot stand the thought of leaving the love of his heart. He cannot see himself with somebody else but Brett. But, he will stop these illusions now. They could never be, anyway.

"Do you want to tell your parents later so we could meet with my family tomorrow?" Eddy asked, still smiling at her.

"Yes, I will tell them. Come here tomorrow for lunch. Thank you for loving me, Eddy." Irene said as she smiled back.

"Thank you, too..." Eddy said as he was about to head home, smiling at the shorter woman.

- - - - -