Chapter 14: Realisation

Harry and Ron came back to the common room some time later, looking shocked. They joined me on the sofa, all of us silent, we had nothing to say anyway. Two of our friends were now victims to this Heir of Slytherin.

McGonagall came up some time later with a piece of parchment. Wood was complaining about Quidditch being cancelled still, but stopped the moment she walked in.

"All students will return to their house common rooms by six o'clock in the evening. You will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher. No exceptions," she rolled the parchment up, "I should tell you all this. Unless the culprit behind these attacks is caught, it is likely that the school will be closed."

Everyone began talking amongst themselves, complaining about McGonagall's final statement. Harry turned to Ron and I, lowering his voice.

"We've got to talk to Hagrid. I can't believe it's him. But if he did set the monster loose last time -- even by accident -- he'll know how to get inside the Chamber of Secrets. And that's a start," he whispered.

"But you heard McGonagall. We're not allowed to leave the tower except for class —" Ron spoke.

"I think it's time to get my dad's old Cloak out again," I nodded at Harry's words. It was the only choice.

We walked to Hagrid's hut, knocking on the door and being greeted by him holding a crossbow. He lowered it immediately when he saw it was us, ushering us in quickly while looking behind us.

"What's that for?" I asked, frowning.

"Nothin', nothin'. I've been expectin'... Doesn't matter. Sit down... I'll make tea..." Hagrid began pouring tea that was already made, spilling it everywhere as his hands shook.

"Are you okay? Hagrid?" Harry asked, "Did you hear about Hermione?"

"Oh, yea. I heard, all righ'," I shared a look with the boys.

"Look... we have to ask you something. Do you know who's opened the Chamber of Secrets?" I broke the awkward silence, and Hagrid went to answer.

But he was cut off when there was a knock at the door. We threw the cloak back over ourselves as Hagrid picked up his crossbow again. The door was opened, and Dumbledore walked in, accompanied by the Minister of Magic.

I shared a look with Ron and Harry, all three of us holding our breaths so as not to get caught.

"Bad business, Hagrid. Very bad business. Had to come. Four attacks on muggleborns. Things've gone far enough. The Ministry's got to act," the Minister spoke.

"I want it understood, Cornelius, that Hagrid has my full confidence," Dumbledore spoke, after a look at Hagrid's stricken face.

"Look, Albus, Hagrid's record's against him. I've got to take him," the Minister shrugged.

"Take me? Where? Not Azkaban prison?" Hagrid said, and my eyes widened.

"For a short stretch only. Not a punishment, Hagrid. More a precaution. If someone else is caught, you'll be released with a full apology," the Minister was cut off by a sharp rap on the door.

My stomach dropped when it opened. My father.

"Already here, Fudge? Good, good..." he stepped inside.

"What're you doin' here! Get outta my house!" Hagrid roared.

"My dear man, please believe me, I have no pleasure at all in being inside your -- do you call this a house?" I clenched my fists at my father's words, "I simply called at the school and was told the Headmaster was here."

"And what exactly did you want with me, Lucius?" Dumbledore asked calmly.

"Dreadful thing, Dumbledore, but the governors feel it's time for you to step aside. This is an Order of Suspension. You'll find all twelve signatures on it," we shared looks again, Dumbledore was suspended? "I'm afraid we feel you're losing your touch. What with all these attacks, there'll be no muggleborns left at Hogwarts. And we all know what an awful loss that would be."

I felt Harry grab my arm, stopping me from doing anything rash.

"Now, see here, Lucius. Dumbledore suspended. No, no... last thing we want right now... If Dumbledore can't stop these attacks... I mean to say, who can?" The Minister argued.

"That remains to be seen, but as all twelve governors have voted —" my father spoke, a smug grin on his face as he wandered towards where we were stood. We held our breaths, fearing he would catch us.

"Yeh can take Dumbledore! Take him away an' the muggleborns won' stand a chance! There'll be killin's next!" we held our breaths as my father towered over us, smirking at Hagrid's words.

"If the governors want my removal, Lucius, I shall of course step aside," my father turned to Dumbledore as he spoke, "However... you will find that I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me. You will also find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who... ask for it."

Our eyes widened as Dumbledore seemed to stare at us, causing my father to frown in our direction before turning back.

"Admirable sentiments. We shall all miss your highly individual way of running things, Albus, and only hope your successor will manage to prevent any more, um, killin's," my father strode to the door, Dumbledore following him out.

The Minister stood, waiting for Hagrid to leave. Hagrid paused, taking a deep breath.

"If anyone wanted ter find out some stuff, all they'd have ter do is follow the spiders. That'd lead 'em right! Tha's all I'm sayin'," the Minister frowned at his words, before following him out the door.

We all released our breaths, throwing the cloak off. I found myself shaking, whether with anger or fear I was unsure, but all I knew was I hated my father more than anything.

"Hagrid's right. With Dumbledore gone, there'll be an attack a day!" Ron spoke, but Harry was staring at a trail of spiders leading from the window.

"Look," he said, "Come on."

They both glanced at me before looking at one another.

"Lyra, go back to school," Ron said softly, "We can do this ourselves, we'll let you know what we find."

I nodded silently, still shaking, watching as Harry and Ron left the hut. 

The next day, they told me Hagrid hadn't opened the Chamber last time. He had looked after a massive spider that got the blame for it after a student died, but the spider said it was not him who killed the girl. After that, it had let its children try and kill the boys, however,

We were discussing theories on what the monster could be. The spider, Aragog, had said spiders were terrified of it and I had seen a massive snake, but it wasn't much to go on given our knowledge - we had no clue about any snake monsters. We decided we would go and see Hermione again and Harry gripped onto her hand. He gasped and pulled out a sheet of paper and read it over. It was about the Basilisk - a giant snake that kills people if they look into its eyes.

"Of course!" I said, standing up, "It all makes sense now! It got through the school via the pipes and people didn't die because... because they didn't look directly into its eyes! Mrs Norris used the reflection of the water, Creevey had his camera, Tobias had some weird mirror book, Finch-Fetchley saw it through Nick who was already dead and Hermione and Clearwater had a mirror beside them!"

"And I heard voices which no-one else heard because it is a snake!" said Harry.

"We have to tell the teachers!" said Ron and we ran to the staff room. I waited around the corner whilst Ron and Harry went in.

About fifteen minutes later Harry and Ron came out looking very pale.

"Did you tell them?" I asked, looking hopeful.

Ron shook his head and Harry said, "It's got Ginny."