Chapter 45: Scarred

I ended up with two weeks of detention, but no reason was given for the extension. Harry and I never went at the same time, I always left as he entered, but he only ended up with one week. At least to begin with.

I made to sure to get Murtlap Essence for both of us after each detention. Snape was definitely getting suspicious about it, but I assured him it was fine and that I'd tell him if anything was happening. I kept a bandage over my hand at all times, pretending I'd just cut it if asked.

Umbridge was appointed High Inquisitor of Hogwarts by week two. This meant she went around all classes to test and see if the teachers were up to her standard, along with making sure the newly created education decrees were being followed.

The teachers were less than impressed about the inspections, as Umbridge interrupted all classes with little comments and remarks. We all made sure to be on best behaviour, because it was almost certain any teacher who failed her inspection would be fired, and the ones that people did want fired, they were too scared of anyway.

Before I went to breakfast the day after my last detention, I removed the bandage and changed to my old second fingerless glove. I never wore it, I only wore one on my right hand, but I didn't have a choice. I made sure that my glove completely covered the writing on my hand. So, now I had to hide a werewolf bite and some writing that was engraved onto my hand.

I got to Transfiguration that day and McGonagall asked me why I was wearing two gloves today.

"I saw it at the bottom of my trunk and just decided to put it to use," I lied.

Hermione overheard and she shot me a look. McGonagall didn't look very convinced but she left it at that.

"Professor, she's lying," Hermione said and I glared at her. Believe me, if looks could kill, Hermione's ghost would have died a thousand times over.

"Miss Malfoy, care to explain what Miss Granger means?" McGonagall asked, returning to our table.

"It's nothing, I just felt like wearing it, miss," I repeated.

"Show her your hand then," Hermione said, "If it's nothing, you shouldn't have a problem with it."

I grimaced as I received knowing looks from both faces. I grudgingly obliged, pulling off my glove and allowing Professor McGonagall to examine my scarred hand. She gasped slightly, her eyes tracing the imprint of those damning words.

"How did this happen?" McGonagall asked, her eyes wide.

"Umbridge," Hermione spoke before I could, "In Lyra's detention, she was made to write lines using her blood."

"It's fine, Professor Snape gave me something to help," I swiftly replaced my glove, avoiding eye contact, "I'll survive."

"I will deal with this, don't you worry," McGonagall looked angry. I'd never seen her so angry, but something about Umbridge seemed to light a fire within her. She rubbed her up the wrong way and now that she knew Umbridge was hurting one of her pupils, she wasn't going to let it go. She left me alone and turned to the front of the class.

I knew I hadn't heard the end of it.

When I arrived at the common room that evening, it was empty apart from Hermione who seemed to be talking to the fireplace.

"What are you doing?" I asked and Hermione jumped.

"Sirius, she's here!" said Hermione.

"What?! Why are you talking to Sirius?! It's too dangerous!" I ran towards the fireplace. I hadn't spoken to Sirius in a while, we had exchanged a few letters last year, but I hadn't heard from him all summer.