Chapter 52: Beyond the Veil

"Give me the prophecy, Potter," I heard my father say and Harry started arguing with him. I didn't listen, my mind too preoccupied about who was holding me, how we were about to die, how stupid we had all been.

I was suddenly pushed forward and became aware of the room I was in again. Why was I moving? What was going on?

Fear seemed to overtake every sense. Bellatrix still held me tightly, her wand pressed sharply against my neck, a low chuckle coming from her throat.

"Last chance, Potter," my aunt snarled from behind me, "Or... Crucio."

I screamed in agony, falling to the ground. Pain overtook my every sense, why wouldn't it stop? I was back at Malfoy Manor, back to the holidays. I was weak, pathetic, small, a child. My screams were strangled, my body convulsing, make it stop—

"Stop-" my father began but he was cut off.

"Let her go, Bellatrix," the voice? It couldn't be... Sirius?

The pain was gone and I could hear the sound of spells flying past my head, incantations being yelled by Death Eaters and whoever had come to our rescue. I was crouched in the middle of the room still, my head in my hands, making myself as small as possible to avoid being hit by a stray spell.

I felt something being placed in my hand gently and I was helped to my feet. My wand! I looked at Lupin, a dazed smile on my face as he pulled me out of harm's way, behind a large stone, away from the fighting. I swallowed thickly before glancing around the room, seeing the Order fighting Death Eaters.

"Thank you, professor," I smiled.

"Get to safety with the others, we'll handle this!" He said sharply, pushing me across to where the others hid.

"Lyra, are you okay?" Hermione grabbed me quickly, pulling me out of the crossfire.

I let out a shaky breath, nodding slowly as I comprehended it. The Cruciatus Curse. A pain that words could not describe, one so unbearable I doubted it would ever leave my memory. Yet again, Bellatrix had won against me.

Flashes of spells were going off around us, Death Eaters versus Order members. I peeked over the top of the rock we hid behind to see my father against Harry and Sirius. The prophecy was nowhere to be seen - had it smashed?

My father was suddenly pushed back, a spell causing him to hit the wall behind him. I rushed forward without thinking, slipping through Tobias's tight grip, barely noticing them yell for me.

I could hear Sirius still battling someone, I didn't care at that moment. I reached my father, my knees scraping against the ground as I landed beside him, searching his face to see if I could tell whether he was awake or not.

"Lyra... I'm sorry," his voice caught me off guard, I jumped as he opened his eyes, "It was never meant to come to this."

"It's alright," I grabbed his hand, "We'll be fine!"

"The Order have won this fight, there's only one place I'm going now," he paused, "What happened at Christmas... if I'd known—"

"I know," I bit my lip, "Only one person is to blame. I just have to live with it."

I turned inadvertently, my eyes attracted to the final fight that was happening. Sirius and Bellatrix, mocking one another as they fought, oblivious to the whispers of a new arrival - Dumbledore.

I saw Sirius duck Bellatrix's jet of red light: He was laughing at her. "Come on, you can do better than that!" he yelled, his voice echoing through the room, everyone was silent, watching.