Chapter 23: Expecto Patronum

That evening, I had my next lesson with Lupin.

"What happened to your head?" He asked the moment I stepped in.

"My brother," I sighed slightly, "My parents accepted me again, over the summer. My brother is less inclined to be nice to me. Its fine, I just... well, didn't want to fight back in case my parents decided to hate me again."

"Episkey," I felt the top of my head, grinning as the marks were gone.

"Thanks," I said and he nodded, sitting against his desk.

"Shall we begin?" He asked.

"Let's go," I grinned.

After about an hour of practising, my Patronus was growing stronger each time. Lupin was overjoyed at my progress, giving me chocolate after each attempt to keep my strength up.

"Keep this going and it'll be corporeal in no time," he smiled at me.

"What is your Patronus?" I asked, taking a break to nibble on some chocolate.

"A wolf, unsurprisingly," he smiled at me, "I can't wait to see what yours is."

"I imagine you'll have a long wait," I sighed slightly.

"I reckon we might find out in the next few weeks," Lupin signalled me to sit against his desk with him, "Your determination is unlike what I've seen before. Most students would have given up by now, or at least be satisfied by what they've achieved. But not you."

"My parents instilled in me that if you don't intend to finish it, don't start it," I paused, "Y'know, put your best effort in or don't bother."

"I had a friend in a similar situation to you," Lupin said after a moment, "He spoke against his family's beliefs, and he was disowned. A Gryffindor, as well. He managed to get through it and move away from his family, become a better person, so I know you will as well. You remind me of him, with your determination to set yourself apart."

"Professor, if it's Sirius Black you're talking about, that's not a great example," I laughed slightly, standing up to cast the spell again.

He gave a small laugh.

"In his later years, perhaps not," his face fell, regret clear on his features, "But the boy I knew could have become a great person. And I know you can as well."

"Professor..." I paused, "What if... what if I told you Sirius Black was innocent? That everything you believed was a lie?"

"Lyra, what are you talking about?" He asked, frowning.

"What if... what if it was never him who betrayed Harry's parents, what if someone else betrayed them? And then he went to confront them... so they faked their death and went into hiding, but he believed they were dead so took the punishment gladly," I pressed.

"I don't know where you heard this ridiculous story, but I'd advise you not to go spreading it around," Lupin said sternly, "If people think you sympathise with Black, they'll turn their backs on you without a second thought. I don't want to hear a word of this outside of this room."

"Yes, professor," I sighed. He didn't even want to hear my explanation.

"I won't lie, I wish what you've said was true," he said quietly, "But it's not. Sirius Black is a guilty man, and he deserves everything that's coming to him."

I looked at my teacher and saw the sadness in his eyes. I shouldn't have brought it up, it was unfair when I had no evidence. But maybe by mentioning it, I would get Lupin to side with his old friend when everything came to light.