Chapter 44: Umbrage to Umbridge

"Students raise their hands when they wish to speak in my class, Mr - ?"

"Weasley," said Ron, thrusting his hand into the air.

Professor Umbridge, smiling still more widely, turned her back on him. Harry and Hermione immediately raised their hands too. Professor Umbridge's pouchy eyes lingered on Harry for a moment before she addressed Hermione.

"Yes, Miss Granger? You wanted to ask something else?"

"Yes," said Hermione. "Surely the whole point of Defence Against the Dark Arts is to practice defensive spells?"

"Are you a Ministry-trained educational expert, Miss Granger?" asked Professor Umbridge, in a falsely sweet voice.

"No, but -"

"Well then, I'm afraid you are not qualified to decide what the 'whole point' of any class is. Wizards much older and cleverer than you have devised our new program of study. You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way -"

"What use is that?" said Harry loudly. "If we're going to be attacked, it won't be in a -"

"Hand, Mr. Potter!" sang Professor Umbridge.

Harry thrust his fist in the air and I looked at him with raised eyebrows. Again, Professor Umbridge promptly turned away from him, but now several other people had their hands up, too. This was beginning to get rather interesting.

"And your name is?" Professor Umbridge said to Dean.

"Dean Thomas."

"Well, Mr. Thomas?"

"Well, it's like Harry said, isn't it?" said Dean. "If we're going to be attacked, it won't be risk-free."

"I repeat," said Professor Umbridge, smiling in a very irritating fashion at Dean, "Do you expect to be attacked during my classes?"

"No, but -"

Professor Umbridge talked over him. "I do not wish to criticise the way things have been run in this school," she said, an unconvincing smile stretching her wide mouth, "but you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in this class, very irresponsible indeed - not to mention," she gave a nasty little laugh, "extremely dangerous half-breeds."

That was it. I had had it.

"Professor Lupin was the best teacher we've had for this subject," I immediately said, and Umbridge turned to face me.

She stared at me in silence for a few seconds before speaking.

"And you'd be Miss Malfoy, correct?" it wasn't really a question, "Yes, your father came to me directly and warned me about you. He told me that if you misbehaved in my class, I was to let him know and he'd deal with it appropriately."

She gave a small laugh and I narrowed my eyes. I knew why he'd done that, he knew I couldn't keep my mouth shut and behave when I disagreed with a teacher, so he was doing what he could to protect me. She believed he would punish me, therefore she wouldn't have to.

"Yes, I'll be sending him a letter tonight, and you can serve detention in my office tonight for sticking up for dangerous beasts," she gave me a smile before turning back to the rest of the class.

I felt sick as Tobias squeezed my hand comfortingly, glaring at Umbridge.

"It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations," Umbridge said, "Which, after all, is what school is all about."

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry snapped.

"There is nothing out there, dear," Umbridge smiled at him, "Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?"