Chapter 43: The Boy Who Lied

"We have two changes in staffing this year," Dumbledore announced, "We are pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave..."

I glanced at the others, a deep frown on my face. Where was Hagrid?

"We also wish to welcome our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher - Professor Dolores Umbridge," that was a name I knew.

Umbridge was essentially Fudge's second in command, which meant this would not be a good year for us. Dumbledore would not have chosen Umbridge, which meant the Minister forced his hand, which therefore meant he was trying to interfere with things. My father had mentioned her when I was first bitten, when explaining the reasons he didn't want me registering. Her hatred for half-breeds topped the list.

"She was at my hearing, she works for Fudge," Harry whispered, staring up at the small woman clad entirely in pink.

"As usual, our Caretaker Mr Filch has asked me to remind you—" Dumbledore was interrupted by a high pitched noise, Umbridge clearing her throat.

She rose as he turned to look at her, the teachers all staring in confusion and annoyance, but she acted oblivious as she smiled down at us all. I was willing to bet not a single person smiled back.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those loveless words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright happy faces smiling up at me," Umbridge addressed us, unconcerned that nobody was truly smiling, "I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The task of passing down the ancient skills must be undertaken with the utmost seriousness. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school..." she nodded to Dumbledore, "Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. A balance then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected--and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

I stared at the others as she finished, Hermione's face showing her alarm as she stared back. Harry and Ron frowned at her, glancing up at Dumbledore before back towards us.

"What did that mean?" Ron asked, and I sighed slightly.

"It means the Ministry's interfering at Hogwarts," an uneasy silence fell over us at Hermione's words, we turned to stare at Umbridge who remained smiling at the crowds.

I was sat in the common room that evening, pouring over the Daily Prophet with a frown on my face. It was ridiculous the lies they were publishing about Harry and Dumbledore, how blatantly they were trying to hide the truth.

"Dean. Seamus," Harry walked in, the room falling silent, "Good holidays?"

"All right," Dean stared at him, "Better than Seamus's anyway."

Seamus looked at Harry uneasily for a moment, before throwing down the paper he was holding.

"Me mam didn't want me to come back," he said sharply.

"Why not?" Harry asked, oblivious, and I readied myself for the blow-up.

"Well... I suppose because of you," Seamus narrowed his eyes, "The Daily Prophet's been saying a lot of things about you, Harry — and Dumbledore as well..."

"And your mum believes them?" Harry scoffed.

"Nobody knows what really happened the night Cedric died..." Seamus trailed off, everyone watching the two boys.