The Median (Reggie Peters x Median!reader)

Request: Yes! on my tumblr @ carnationcreation

"Can i request a meet cute for Reggie of JATP, female reader could be someone who can naturally see/interact/touch ghosts(like a medium?), and she just so happens to notice Reggie at a cafe and he notices she can see him? Rambly idea, I know but, pls and thank you!"

Prompt/summary: Reader is a medium and she just so happens to notice Reggie at a cafe and he realizes she can see him

Word Count: 1,217

Warnings: none

Authors note: I literally had an idea like this when I was watching the show today! Since I'm a practicing Pagan I've had a few experiences with spirits so that is what I'm going to be basing this off of. Hope you enjoy!

The laptop sitting on the table grew hot as (Y/n) frantically tried to finish the school assignment that was due at noon. The coffee shop was fairly empty for early afternoon, only a few customers at a booth in the back and the baristas up front working on orders as the top 40 countdown played over the speakers. (Y/n) cursed as she saw the battery drop down to 15%, she looked around and under her table to try and find an outlet to plug her macbook into but sighed as she stood up to continue the search.

She felt the crystal on her neck shift and the energy in the room chill slightly. This didn't happen often for her. Normally this would signal a spirit trying to communicate with her but those mostly happen in her house, not a coffee shop. Surely there wouldn't be a dead soul here, right?

She saw a boy sitting at a table near the window. His head was in his hands and the sleeves of his black leather jacket blocked her view of his face. She glanced at the bottom of the table and saw the white outline of an outlet peeking out from behind the metal pole of the table.

"Excuse me, do you mine if I sit here to plug in my laptop? I'm almost dead," she asked sweetly but nervously.

The boy looked up at her confused, he glanced over his shoulder to try and figure out who she was talking to. It wasn't until he turned back and saw her (Y/c/e)s gazing back into his brown ones that he realized it was him, "You can see me?"

'Uh, yeah? Or is this one of those things people say to get someone to freak out and leave them alone?" she giggled.

"Umm, I uh- Yeah feel free to sit," Reggie stumbled.

The girl turned to get her bags when she saw the other customers in the booth look at her with concern in their eyes. The girl closest to her spoke up, "Who are you talking to?"

"Huh?" (y/n) said and turned back to the table, "He's right-"

A brief flicker of light cut her off, it's something so subtle most people would miss. She knew exactly what it was.

"Oh, guess he's gone now," she tried to play it off cool but the embarrassment of the moment made her want to beat her head with her laptop. They must think she's crazy. She quickly grabbed her bag and dragged her laptop and charger back over to the table.

"You're dead aren't you?" she said quietly as she opened her laptop, trying her best not to be heard from the booth.

"How did you know? And how can you see me?" he said.

"I'm a medium, I talk to spirits all the time."

"A median?" he asked.

"No," she huffed, "a medium!"

"I'll stick with median," he said as he leaned back in his chair.

The girl rolled her eyes, "I should've known when I first looked at you. Your aura is all out of whack. I normally can read people's aura like the back of my hand, and for some reason yours just isn't showing."

"What's an aura?" his face scrunched up in confusion.

"Think of it like someone's spiritual fingerprint. I see colors around people and it tells me something about them," (Y/n) tried to explain.

"Oh sweet," he said. He stared at the girl in front of him. Her (Y/h/c) framed her face perfectly, her hands moved swiftly across the keyboard. She hadn't looked up at him since she sat down, mostly to keep anyone else from staring at her like she was crazy. Maybe she was, but he was just so glad someone other than Julie could see him.

"I'm Reggie," he said, sticking his hand out.

"I'm (Y/n), and my hand wouldn't grab anything so you can drop yours," she giggled.

"Oh, right," Reggie laughed nervously, "so what are you working on?"

"Just an essay for my music appreciation class," she shrugged.

"You like music?" he asked.

"I like it, not a complete music nerd but I can strum a guitar and I know basic piano."

"Cool," Reggie smiled.

"What about you?"

Reggie sighed, "Well when I was alive I was in a band with my friends. We all died the same night."

"Oh that sucks. When did you die?" she said. Her typing slowed down as she got more interested in the conversation.

"1995, then me and my friends were stuck in some weird black room for 25 years."

(Y/n) looked up and furrowed her brow before beginning to type again, "Oh you were in purgatory."

"Per-what now?"

(Y/n) giggled, "Purgatory, it's mostly a catholic thing but most spirits I talk to confirm it. It's just a place spirits go when they either don't cross over immediately or haven't found their unfinished business."

"Oh Alex told me about that!" he smiled.

"What's yours, do you know?"

"I don't, probably has something to do with music though. Watch this!" he said. He thought about his bass and it immediately popped into his hands. The girl jumped and looked at him questioningly.

"Pick up my pen," she said slowly.

Reggie put away his bass and leaned forward, he reached towards the pen but when he got close to touching it his hand passed through the pen, table, and he fell forward slightly. The motion caused (Y/n)'s drink to spill some over her notepad and she jumped to grab napkins out of the dispenser.

"Sorry sorry sorry!" Reggie said as he sat up and raised his hands up.

(Y/n) only laughed lightly. Her eyes flickered over the rest of the cafe. The big booth table had left and it was only them and the baristas left in the store. The cashier giggled slightly at the mess, thinking the girl bumped her own cup.

"So you can pick up your instruments but not objects?" She said. She leaned her face on her hand and used the other to scroll through Tumblr on her laptop.

"Sometimes if we focus really really hard, but it feels tiring."

"That gets better the longer you're in between, I've met spirits that have been here for centuries and they can open doors and turn on radios and stuff," the girl shrugged.

"But it's weird, if we play instruments people can hear and even see us! And the girl that got us out of, what's it called? Pur-ga-tory? She can always see us," he said confused.

"Even when you aren't in the house?" (Y/n)'s eyes flickered up to his.

"Yes!"

(Y/n)'s eyebrows furrowed again, "Wow that's really strange."

Before Reggie could respond he heard the door jingle open and Julie stepped in. She found him sitting at the table and slowly walked up.

Reggie looked at the girl in front of him, "(Y/n) this is Julie, she's the one that got us out of purgatory."

(Y/n) turned around and stuck her hand out to Julie, the girl looked extremely confused.

"Wait, you can see him?" she said.

"Yes yes we've just been through that. I'm a median. He can summon a bass out of nowhere too," (Y/n) rolled her eyes.

Reggie interrupted, "Hey (Y/n) the median, you wanna come to band practice?