57

It had been 3 weeks since James had been locked up

It had been 3 weeks since James had been locked up. 3 weeks since Spencer and you finally felt safe once again. You had returned to work, publishing a new paper on a specific gene that serial killers seemed to have and how it allowed for a neurotransmitter imbalance in their nervous systems. It was the talk of every neuroscience and criminal justice program in the country.

But, instead of taking time to celebrate it, you just threw yourself into another project. Spencer was always gone and you hated being alone. Nate was away in some Eastern European country for an exchange program and Lola was overwhelmed by the chaos that was medical school. You would make time to see each other every month, but it just wasn't the same.

The brain program was taking off, with so much funding that they didn't know what to do with it. You had taken a sabbatical from it, to focus on your research. But, since that was published and over, you were now spending every day at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in a bunker, doing tests and protocols that surely weren't allowed above ground.

It was a lot. Frankly, you were exhausted. But, it kept you busy.

Spencer, on the other hand, also hated being away from you. But the BAU, gaining popularity by all the media attention, was called in at any minor inconvenience. It wasn't that he didn't want to help save missing kids or catch serial killers, but he missed spending time with you.

But it was ok because you both had vacations coming up. And you had decided that you both deserved a break. But, as luck would have it, a senator's daughter was kidnapped as you were heading up to visit your parents and Spencer had to go into work. "I'm so sorry," he said sadly. You frowned, kissing him quickly.

"It's not your fault. Come to Providence if you finish up? I'll miss you," you replied.

"I'll be on the first flight up," he promised, running out of the house. You sighed and sat down on the couch, your head in your hands. Everything going on felt like a wildfire and it didn't look like it was going to be contained any time soon.

You drove to the airport, getting on the flight a few hours later alone and sitting in your seat, pulling out your laptop. It was a short flight but you wanted to work on some data analysis, at least it would keep you busy. A man sat down next to you, making you look up. "Hi princess," he whispered.

"Spence, how?" you asked, blinking to make sure you weren't seeing things.

"I'll be working remotely. I told Hotch that we needed this and that, with everything that's happened in the last year, I didn't want to wait anymore."

"What are you talking about?" You asked, closing your laptop and turning to him.

"We're getting married next week. As long as that's ok with you," he whispered. You threw yourself at him, pulling him into a kiss.

"Next week?" You confirmed as he pulled away, Spencer nodding. "As in Halloween? We're getting married on Halloween?"

"Yeah, I thought it was perfect. I had Garcia do some magic and get us that venue you've been obsessing over," he said as you curled into his arms.