Chapter 21

You don't know how you got back to the hotel last night, but you woke up with a pounding headache and a vague recollection of last night's events. You drank way too much.

You stared at the ceiling trying to recall the events. Oh fuck. You remember now. You kissed Morgan and embarrassed yourself. Spencer was acting weird. You danced like an idiot with a random guy who wanted to take you home with him. You almost went with him if it wasn't for JJ taking you back to the hotel, claiming you that you had too much to drink. She wasn't wrong.

You cringe in embarrassment at the memories of yourself from last night. A knock on the door caused you to whine and cover your ears, it sounded like someone had slammed two pans against each other right next to your ears. You ignored it hoping whoever was on the other end of the door would go away, all you wanted to do was sleep.

They didn't leave. Instead, there was another knock. You got out of bed and dragged yourself to the door to open it.

You opened the door and recognized Emily, "You look like hell"

"Shut up," you rolled your eyes at her rude but accurate remark.

"You have about 30 minutes to get dressed before we have to get back to Quantico. Don't be late!" she exclaimed before turning around and walking back to her hotel room. You closed the door behind her. She had just about as much to drink as you did, how the hell was she so energetic.

You brushed your teeth, packed your things, and put on your clothes in a hurry. You put on sunglasses to shield yourself from the sun that you knew would burn your eyes once you stepped foot outside. You dragged your suitcase behind you as you walked down to the hotel lobby to check out.

The rest of the team arrived moments later and Garcia seemed just as grumpy as you were from the hangover.

You noticed Reid and walked up to him. "Hey, Spence"

You saw him clench his jaw. He didn't reply, just nodded and walked away to where Emily was sitting. What the hell was that?

You had no energy to ask him about it right now, you just wanted to get back to your house so you could sleep.

Reid didn't talk to you the entire way back to Quantico. You noticed he didn't really talk to anyone, not even Morgan. You decided to deal with it later and just go home for now.

You arrived at your apartment and took a long 3 hour nap, waking up at 4PM. Your headache was gone and you could finally think straight. After drinking some coffee, you checked your phone. A message from Hotch popped up on your screen: The team has the next two days off of work. Good job on this case, Blaise. Enjoy your days off but don't forget your therapy sessions after we get back.

You rolled your eyes at the mention of therapy, but smiled at the validation he gave you about your work on this case. Finally, you're beginning to feel like an important part of the team.

You decided to text Reid to see if he wanted to hang out tomorrow.

Hey Spence

You watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy. Still no text back.

You text again, We have two days off. Wanna hang out tomorrow?

You watch three more episodes of Grey's Anatomy before checking your phone again.

Hey Spence

We have two days off. Wanna hang out tomorrow?

*read at 7PM*

He left you on read? You call him. Nobody answers. You call again. No response. At this point, you begin to worry.

He's never not answered his phone. Was he okay? He's always been there for you. You should check up on him and make sure nothing's happened. After changing into new clothes and grabbing your keys, you head down to your car and decide to drive to his apartment to check on him.

____

After your three knocks on his apartment door, you heard him walking towards the door you stood behind.

The door opened slightly and Reid's face was peaking through it, causing you to sigh in relief. You were relieved to see that he was okay. When he noticed it was you at the door, his body suddenly tensed and his jaw clenched– again. Why the hell does he keep doing that?

"You asshole you had me worried something happened to you! Why won't you answer my texts and calls? What's going on with you?" You asked with a concerned tone but also some sass in your tone because he was ignoring you.

He scoffed and rolled his eyes when you called him an asshole, as if he thought it was ironic. "I'm fine. Is that all? I'm busy." He didn't offer you a smile, he didn't offer a friendly tone. Instead, he spoke with a tone of annoyance.

Why the hell was he being so weird. "Spence? What's going on with you? You've been ignoring me since this morning in Arizona? Are you okay?" you spoke in a friendly, concerned tone, opposite to his. Clearly, something is bothering him. You hated that he was ignoring you and you wanted to be there for him like he always is for you.

By now, he had opened the door fully. He looked down avoiding your gaze. You both stood facing each other for a minute before he decided to respond.

"I.... You and Morgan kissed last night." He wasn't asking, but telling you. You didn't hear annoyance or anger in his tone anymore. He was just simply stating something that had happened.

"Oh, you saw that...." you said embarrassed with red cheeks, "I know it was stupid and inappropriate but we were just both so drun–"

He cut you off before you could explain, "–you lied to me."

Instead of speaking calmly like before, he was suddenly a little frustrated and angry.

Your tone now matched his at this accusation, "I-I didn't lie," you furrowed your brows, offended and confused on why he even cared so much, "Me and Morgan are definitely not dating, Reid. It–"

He raised his voice slightly as he interrupted you once again, "–I just told you I saw you kiss! Stop lying, Josephine!" He's never called you Josephine before.

Okay now you were frustrated, "Well if you would stop fucking interrupting me and just let me explain!"

He realized how tense he was, so his shoulders relaxed slightly and he gestured for you to come in. You walked in and sat on his couch as he closed the door behind you.

"Fine, explain," he said calmly, eager to hear your excuse.

"Spence, I didn't lie. We're not a thing, we're not dating. Yes, we flirt all the time but he does that with Garcia and Emily sometimes too. And last night.... well last night we were both very drunk and I kissed him because well.."

I paused for a moment, not knowing how to explain that this was the first time a man gave me so much validation because Mateo only gave me backhanded compliments. I didn't want to sound insecure or crazy.

"...well he was just being really flirty and nice and kept complimenting me, something Mateo rarely did. I-I just.. It just felt nice to hear and so I kissed him... but I immediately regretted it after and it didn't mean anything. It was so inappropriate because he's my coworker and I would never date my coworkers and I don't even like him like that I was just drunk and–"

You were rambling but stopped when you noticed Reid tense and quickly move his gaze away from you down to the floor. He cleared his throat uncomfortably and was acting weird. Maybe it was the mention of Mateo. Fuck, you didn't mean to make him uncomfortable. You immediately regretted your explanation.

You looked down at your lap, also uncomfortable now too. This was just awkward and now there was a weird tension between you two as you both sat silently, avoiding eye contact.

Spencers POV

I now understood why she kissed Morgan. It's normal for people to become attached to someone who validates them after leaving a toxic relationship. She seems pretty certain that she doesn't really like him, she just kissed him because he was validating her. Either way, I shouldn't have gotten upset. It's not my place to tell her what to do. 

I'm glad she explained it to me. But her other words echoed in my head: She would never date her coworkers. Is it crazy that for a split second I considered the possibility of quitting if it meant I could be with her.