Chapter 12

You were awakened by the sounds of screams. Immediately, you pulled out your gun from your nightstand drawer and got out of bed, following the sound.

The screams were coming from Reid, who was still asleep. You could only make out a few words, "No!" and "Please don't!" You wanted to assure him that he was okay, but you didn't want to frighten him.

You put the gun down on your kitchen counter and tapped Spencer's shoulder lightly, but he wouldn't wake up, continuing to scream. 

"Reid, Reid," you whispered as you began to shake him, "Spencer, wake up"

After a few seconds of shaking him, he jumped up from his lying position, startling you. You put your hands on his shoulder, "You're okay, you're okay," you whispered, "It was just a nightmare"

He took a few loud, deep breaths and wiped the sweat off his forehead. "Sorry," he whispered, avoiding looking you in the eyes.

"Don't apologize. Do you wanna talk about it?" you asked, not wanting to push him or make him uncomfortable.

He didn't respond and just kept breathing heavily. You noticed a tear fall from his eyes.

"Spence, it's okay. You're okay now, you're safe here," you assured him with a delicate voice.

You sat in silence for a few minutes, comforting him with your touch, which both of you usually didn't like. It seemed to calm him down this time though, and it wasn't bothering you.

"I-I.. um.. I-" he stuttered

He confessed, "I've been having nightmares"

"I keep seeing myself trapped in an awful situation." He paused for a few seconds before continuing, "The team would be in danger and I'm the only one who can save them. I try to talk the unsub down and convince him to lower his gun, but it doesn't work. He shoots at the team and everyone is gone except for me. The unsub leaves me alive to make sure I live with the fact that I wasn't able to save my team." He lets out a soft cry and buries his head into your chest. You've never seen him so vulnerable.

You comfort him with a hug while he cries until he calms down a little.

"Spence.... you don't need to be scared that you'll let down this team. We would be nothing without you. The team wouldn't be able to solve any cases without you. We will never leave your side, okay? You could never let us down. We love you." You gave him a hug and he nodded.

"Thank you, Jo. I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." He looked away from you in shame.

"Don't be sorry, I'm glad I was here," you smiled apologetically, feeling bad that he thinks he could ever let down the team.

You stayed with him on the sofa bed until he fell back asleep. You returned to your bedroom and went back to sleep too.

Spencers POV

After I woke up from my nightmare and Jo comforted me, I pretended to go back to sleep. I couldn't possibly sleep again, I didn't want to have another nightmare, but I also didn't want to bother Jo. She had been so caring and comforting, so I pretended to sleep so she would go back to her bedroom.

I laid in bed awake, doing some mathematical equations to busy my mind. After about an hour, it was almost 6AM. We were going to wake up soon anyway, so I decided to get out of bed early. I went to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. I opened her mirror cabinet to see if she had any extra toothbrushes, I wasn't going to wake her and ask.

I opened the cabinet, it was so neat and satisfying. There were three shelves, all very organized. The top shelf had two, new, packaged toothbrushes and two unopened toothpaste tubes as well as some floss. The shelf below had some face products on the right side and makeup products on the left. Finally, the bottom shelf was lined with medication. Mostly over the counter medicine and bandages, but there were three prescription bottles.