Chapter 8

The next day, you also had off from work and you spent the day with Mateo. For two weeks, Mateo was perfect and so kind, he had definitely changed. There was this one day where he left bruises on your ribs, but he was drunk and it barely hurt, you justified to yourself. He apologized ten times right after those bruises were left on your ribs, it seemed genuine. You convinced yourself he had changed, and this was just one mistake he had made. After all, the other days with him were so perfect. 

You had been going to work during those weeks, but the team hadn't had any cases, so you were just working on files all day long. During those weeks, you grew closer to the team, but hadn't had time to hang out with them outside of work.

It was your day off, and Mateo offered to take you to the mall.

"Baby, you wanna go shopping. I'll buy you whatever you want" Mateo smiled.

Your face lit up, he wanted to spoil you and he was being so caring,"Yes, I'd love to!"

You spent the day at the mall with Mateo, and it was one of the best day's you've had in a while. He complimented everything you tried on and let you buy anything you wanted. He really had changed, you thought.

At the mall, you and Mateo were sitting at a cafe, when all of a sudden you hear someone shout your name.

"Jo!" they waved at you.

You smiled when you recognized who it was, "Morgan? Hey!"

He approached you, "Hey, pretty girl. How you been?"

"I'm good! This is Mateo," you introduced them

"Hey, man" Morgan put his hand out for a handshake

"I'm her boyfriend, who are you?" Mateo refused to shake Morgan's hand and just gave him a nod instead.

Morgan noticed Mateo's weird, protective attitude. "I work with her at the Bureau," Morgan explained. You were wearing a crop top and when you lifted your hand to move a strand of hair out of your face, part of your bruised ribs became visible to Morgan.

"Baby, we should get going" Mateo looked at you, completely ignoring Morgan.

"Oh, uh, yeah sure. Sorry Morgan, we gotta go. It was great seeing you!" You smiled at him.

"Same to you, Diva" Morgan watched you and Mateo walked away with a slight concern on his face, but thought nothing of it.

You arrived back at the apartment, Mateo saying little to you the whole ride home.

"What's wrong, baby?" you asked Mateo, noticing the annoyance on his face

Mateo raised his voice, "Who the hell was he??"

"What do you mean? He's on my team, I work with him" you defended, realizing he was furious. "Baby, baby look at me" you put your hands on his neck and made him face you, "Don't be jealous okay, baby? He's just a friend. I love you" You tried to assure him, you didn't want to hurt his feelings.

"You have to stop talking to him, I don't trust him" Mateo said in a calm state.

You were a little upset, "Baby, I work with him. I can't just stop talking to him"

Rage took over his face, "I said stop talking to him! Quit the team if you have to! You're never seeing him again!"

Suddenly you realized Mateo hadn't changed, he just became better at manipulating you. You felt like an idiot for believing that he had changed, that he wasn't going to hurt you anymore. He was obviously trying to control you again.