Journeys Through the Hospital and the Iidas

I took a deep breath and forced my eyes back open. Of course, logically, I knew that Power Loader was right -- that I should get some rest while I had the chance -- but my stubbornness seemed unwilling to yield to logic.

I grabbed the railing beside the bed and hauled myself up into an upright position, gritting my teeth as white-hot pain flooding the entirety my entire torso.  My other hand flew to my stomach in shock, dancing lightly over where I could feel bandages wrapped tightly around it.  The searing pain was even worse than when I'd woken up after the USJ incident.  I suppose that was somewhat to be expected, though, since recovery girl probably wasn't able to help with my healing process here.

I panted softly as I swung my legs over the side of the bed and dragged myself to my feet, both hands gripping the IV stand as tightly as they could manage.  Slowly and carefully, I took one step after another, my feet scraping along the floor in my exhaustion.  I wasn't sure exactly where I was going, but I knew how to find it.  As a matter of fact, it was incredibly easy to do so.  All I had to do was follow one of the men currently donning a blue uniform.

I kept my head bowed, praying that I appeared as just another patient as I slowly trudged roughly five or six paces behind one of the younger officers.  He was obviously new to his job, if not evidenced by his lack of awareness that I was following him then by the fact that he was balancing four coffees as he walked.  I wasn't exactly being quiet, after all, my steps heavy despite my best efforts and the wheels of the IV stand squeaking painfully loudly throughout the entire trek.  Of course, I wasn't exactly about to start complaining.  It would be much easier to just deal with having to explain myself once I actually got there.

Finally, I turned the last corner to see three more uniformed officers standing guard in front of the last room in the hallway.  They were currently changing shifts, the officer I'd followed offering two of the coffees to the ones who were leaving and the third to his fellow guard.

I waited a few moments, my back leaning against the wall beside the corner and my hair falling in a curtain over my face as I waited for the original two guards to leave.  The officers breezed past me without so much as a second glance, conversing casually about how exhausted they were after such a long shift of keeping watch over the room.  I took a quick breath to muster up my courage before beginning to walk down the hallway. 

This was it. Time for me to see the final fruits of my labors.

"Excuse me," I spoke up softly, catching the eye of the younger officer who'd gone to fetch the coffee earlier.  "Is this the room of the pro hero Ingenium?"  Both of the much taller men tensed at the question.  Ah, his room number must have been considered privileged information.

"Young lady, who are you--"

"What are you doing here?!"  I sighed before turning my head to face the source of the voice.

"Hello to you, too, Iida," I muttered, meeting his eyes reluctantly.  I blinked in shock, turning to face him fully once I finally caught sight of who he was standing with.  "You must be Iida's mother.  My name is (Y/N) (L/N); it's very nice to meet you," I smiled and bowed to her slightly.  My eyes widened, and I gasped, my hand flying to my stomach and pressing down lightly against the wound as it screamed out at me to stop whatever it was I was doing.

"You're a friend of Tenya's?" The glasses-clad woman glanced up hesitantly at her son.  Iida immediately opened his mouth to protest, but I beat him to it.

"Actually, I'm here for Ingenium," I shook my head slightly, a soft smile on my face.  Iida's eyes widened, his entire body tensing even further than it already was.  I could almost see the thoughts flashing past his eyes one after another. Why did I want to see his brother?  How did I even know he was staying here?  Did I know that he and Tensei were brothers, too?  Was I here to finish the job the Hero Killer had started?