Not-Lies and Half-Truths

"--my classroom. We have no idea where she came from." The voices slowly roused me from my sleep. My lips twitched slightly. I didn't recognize these voices. I kept my eyes closed and my breaths slow and measured as I continued to listen in. "She's been sleeping ever since," the same tired voice continued. "Midnight hit her pretty hard with her quirk, so we're not really sure when she's gonna come to."

"Funny you should mention that, because it seems as though our guest as just woken up," a cheery voice responded. "You can open your eyes now."

I frowned and slowly opened my eyes, gazing warily at the two people before me. One was the tired looking man with the messy black hair from earlier, while the other was a small, white... creature. "Where am I?" I questioned slowly, not taking my eyes off the two for a second.

"You're in my office," the creature responded cheerily. "I'm Nezu, the principal here at UA."

My heart stopped at that. Did he just say what I think he said? No, he can't be serious, right? There's no way that was actually real. But as I continued to stare at the white dog-thing, I couldn't bring myself to find any other explanation. Things like him didn't just exist in real life. So either this was a dream, or I needed to start thinking really quickly.

"Would you mind telling us who you are?" Nezu asked, tilting his head kindly as he sat down across from me. I wasn't about to be fooled, though. If this really was the Nezu I thought it was, he was far more intelligent than anyone I had ever met.

I debated for a moment on what I should say before deciding on my cover story. In this world, I would be an amnesiac. But I would have to be careful. If they brought in Tsukauchi, he would pick apart my story in seconds. I couldn't lie, but I certainly couldn't tell the truth, unless I wanted them to write me off as completely insane. A name was necessary. And besides, many amnesiacs could remember their names.

"(Y/N) (L/N)," I said after a moment, continuing to keep up my wary and fearful act -- although, it wasn't exactly much of an act. These people could lock me up in jail at a moment's notice with not a soul to protest, considering I didn't exactly know anyone in this world.

"Wonderful," he smiled. "And (Y/N) is your first name?"

Shit. Maybe I should have pretended I was from Japan. I was somehow able to speak the language already anyways, so it might seem suspicious that I know Japanese despite not actually being from there. Still, it was way too late now, so I just nodded slowly.

"Well, Ms. (L/N), can you tell us how you got into our school?" he asked calmly. He hid it well, but the weight of the question was still there.

"I don't know," I responded honestly.

"Do you have any parents that we can contact?" he brushed past my response as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

I shook my head. "I-I can't remember," I muttered hoarsely.

Nezu's eyebrows lifted slightly. "I'm sorry?"

"I can't remember," I repeated softly, staring at my lap.

"Can you remember anything besides your name?" Nezu said slowly, looking at me curiously.

I paused a moment, thinking over my answer. "I... I remember pictures..." I started slowly, wrapping my arms around my midsection. "A man... and a woman... and a house..." I gripped my shirt tightly -- the same shirt I had worn to bed. "But nothing else."

"Do you remember what your quirk is?"

I looked up, confusion dancing in my eyes. "What's a quirk?"