Strokes of Luck and Freedom

The nearby wall of the hideout crashed down on itself, sending a strong gust of wind throughout the dingy old room that almost knocked me off my feet.  Shining strings shot out from the cloud of dust followed by a massive fist.  The strings each wrapped around one of the villains surrounding me while the large hand began plucking nomus from those weird chambers they rested in.  My heart started pounding, and I stumbled backwards, falling on my ass in the process.  Suddenly, a pair of hands grabbed my shoulders, ripping a harsh gasp from my throat.  I lashed out in fear at whatever was holding me, but they caught my punches effortlessly.

"You're (L/N), right?!"  The voice shouted out over the chaos.  "Wait, no, Eraser said you responded better to (Y/N).  Listen, I need you to confirm whether or not you're alright," he said sternly.  My eyes  drifted up shakily to meet my own reflection in the face shield of one of the many police officers that had charged in.

"We have control."  My head snapped over to Best Jeanist standing in the freshly cleared of dust doorway, several lines of fabric wound tightly around his victims.  "The villains and Nomu are neutralized."

No.  I had to get away.  They can't catch me; not like this.  I only just escaped!

"Let me go!" I screamed, ripping myself out of his grip.

"Woah, we've got a live one!" Mt. Lady called.

"(L/N), calm down!  You're safe now!" Gang Orca, the only one whose hands were free of both nomus and villains, wrapped his arms around me, grunting as I flailed wildly in an attempt to escape.

Safe?!  Safe my ass!  I wasn't safe, I was 'neutralized.'  Run.  I had to run away!  I promised myself I'd be free!  That's all I wanted!  To for once in my life just be free!

I writhed back and forth in Gang Orca's grasp, tears streaming down my numbed cheeks as I screamed out with all my might.  They must've matched him with me because water makes him stronger.  They were trying to find the best way to subdue me.  I had to break free.

I couldn't hear Tiger pleading for a response from the nearby Ragdoll or Mt. Lady's complaining followed quickly by Best Jeanist reprimanding her.  I couldn't even hear Gang Orca's calm voice in my ear trying in vain to soothe me.  I did hear something, though.  I heard the steady approach of even, measured footsteps coming from the blanket of darkness.

"I'm sorry, Tiger," a sophisticated-sounding voice echoed in my head, and all at once, my movements ceased, replaced instead by a violent shaking that quaked throughout my whole body.  "But Ragdoll's quirk was so useful.  I just had to take it.  How could I not?"  Oh god, no, this couldn't be real.  Please just let me wake up now.

Gang Orca glanced down at me before looking back up towards where the voice was coming from.  "Are you with the league?" He called.

"Somebody get us a light!" Tiger ordered to the nearby cops.

"Since my body was destroyed, I haven't been able to stock up on quirks," the voice continued, unfazed by the shouting coming from our side.

"Stop there!" Gang Orca barked, sweeping a hand out.  "Don't move!"  I didn't even register his loosened grip, now easily escapable if I actually tried.  No, I was far too busy staring at him.

Threads shot out, binding the man in the suit in an instant.

"Hey, you can't attack like that!" Mt. Lady shouted in protest.  "What if he's just a bystander?!"

"Think about the situation," Best Jeanist snapped back in annoyance and a thinning patience.  "A moment of hesitation could decide the fight.  We can't let these villains try anything!"