New Homes and Shopping Sprees

"Ms. (L/N), I'm afraid we have some bad news," Nezu said apologetically, sitting back down across from me. My heart leapt into my throat. Had they found me out? Were they sending me to jail? "Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any records of you anywhere in our systems. We're expanding our search, but it doesn't seem very promising." I almost let out a sigh in relief. They hadn't found me out. "So, for now, we are going to request that you stay with one of our teachers. You will be enrolled in our classes, and we will help you adjust to life here until we can find where you came from."

"Who will I be staying with?" I whispered. I stared down at my feet, pushing back the tears threatening to form in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I was happy I wasn't going to jail. Still, this meant that I was right about being trapped in a new world. My family, my friends, everyone I ever knew, they were all just... gone.

"You'll be with Mr. Aizawa here," Nezu answered, smiling despite the gravity of the situation and my obvious discomfort. "We're still not exactly sure what your quirk is, but it seems to be quite powerful, so we thought it would be best to put you with someone who could help in case you accidentally lose control." That was an obvious lie. They placed me with Aizawa because they were still worried that I could be a threat. "You will also be enrolled in his class for the same reasons."

"What does he teach?" I asked quietly, resigning to my fate rather than trying to fight something that I would never be able to change.

"Class 1-A of the heroics course," Nezu responded, never dropping that smile. "You look to be about 15 years old, so you should fit in just fine." I had to fight back the shock at his words. I looked 15? That didn't make any sense. I was in my senior year of college. Even if I looked a little young for my age, I shouldn't look 15. I pushed the thoughts from my mind and just nodded blankly again.

"Well, that settles that," Nezu clapped his paws with a smile. "Aizawa will take you to your new home so that you can get a bit settled in, and you will be attending your first day of classes tomorrow, alright?" I nodded again. "Wonderful. Don't worry, Ms. (L/N), we'll make sure you have a home with us."

I didn't respond. I just stood up numbly, my eyes cast downwards, and followed Aizawa out of the room, down the many halls of the very large high school, and out the front door. Before long, I found myself standing in front of a small, rundown apartment. Aizawa unlocked the door and stepped inside, taking off his shoes, and I did the same. He led me to a room down the hall and swung the door open.

"This is your room," he grumbled. "Mine is the one two doors down. There's food in the kitchen. School starts at 8:25AM; we leave at 8:00. A uniform will be provided to you by tomorrow morning. We'll go out and get you some stuff later tonight. For now, just... I don't know, grab some crayons and draw a picture or something."

I blinked at him. Did he think I was 5 years old? I shook my head, choosing to just dismiss it. "Bathroom?" I asked. He pointed at another door at the end of the hall. I nodded and made my way towards it, locking the door behind me.

I stared at my reflection in the bathroom mirror, breathing heavily.  The 15-year-old version of myself stared right back at me, ratty (H/C) hair sticking up in every direction, the younger features sunken down with fatigue.  I squeezed my eyes shut and hung my head, burying my fingers in my hair and pulling gently at my roots.  The slight sting that followed only cemented the fact that this was all real.  Somehow, all of this insane, terrible stuff was really happening.  I sank to the floor, my back pressed against the small vanity and my head buried in my arms.  Soft sobs rose from my throat as images of my family and friends flashed through my mind.  They were all gone.  And I had no idea if I was ever going to be able to get them back.

"Hey, kid, you ok in there?" Aizawa knocked on the door, causing me to jump about a foot in the air.

I started wiping hastily at my eyes.  "U-um, yeah, just a minute," I called, cursing slightly at how my voice cracked.  I sniffed and finished drying my eyes, scrambling to my feet and straightening out my clothes.  I took a heavy, shaky breath, bracing myself, before opening the door.  "Sorry," I muttered, staring at the ground in hopes that he wouldn't notice my red eyes.

"It's fine," Aizawa muttered, turning away.  "Get ready, we're leaving soon."  I nodded and followed him, not bothering with anything about my appearance.  I didn't have a brush or any other clothes anyways.

I walked into the living room to find Midnight standing directly in the center.  "Hi, you must be (L/N)," she grinned, walking towards me.  "My name is Nemuri Kayama, but you should just call me Nemuri, ok?"

"Call my (Y/N)," I responded softly, keeping my eyes downcast.

Midnight's smile widened further.  "Well, (Y/N), how would you like to go get some clothes?"

I nodded a bit, ignoring her plastered on smile and just following her out of the apartment with Aizawa following closely behind me.  I frowned just a bit as I stared at my feet.  I shouldn't have been surprised that they were cautious of me, but it still wasn't fun.

A few minutes later, we had arrived at a mall, and Midnight had dragged me into one of the large department stores.  I sighed and sifted through one of the racks, doing my best to ignore the woman running around behind me, grabbing article after article of clothing for me to try on.  I had managed to pick out a few shirts for myself, most of them (F/C), before Midnight had grabbed my arm and dragged me to a fitting room.

"Do I have to try all of this on?" I called reluctantly from the small cubicle.

"Of course!  I had to guess on your size, but everything in there is way too cute for you not to wear!" she called back excitedly.  "And don't forget to show me everything you try on!"

I sighed and set out trying on each and every outfit.  Most of it wasn't exactly my usual style, but I had to admit, it did look pretty good on me.  Midnight ruthlessly judged each outfit, and slowly, we put together a whole new wardrobe for me.  I even managed to sneak in a few regular t-shirts and sweatshirts, much to her chagrin.  Finally, after hours of shopping, Midnight was satisfied, and we were allowed to leave.  Unfortunately, though, we weren't done there.  They continued to drag me around the mall from store to store, insisting I offer an opinion about each little thing that I couldn't care less about, like the color of my sheets and which mirror I preferred.

It was late at night by the time we returned to Aizawa's apartment.  He and Midnight helped to bring all of the new clothes and bedding in, but I was left alone to unpack it all while they spoke in the kitchen.  I knew, of course, that they were talking about me, but at that point, I didn't care.  So, I simply unpacked.  I managed to finish around 10:00 and collapsed on the bed.

I sighed and stared at the ceiling.  Tomorrow was going to be my first day of school.  I would have to try and figure out where the story was, so I could be ready for what was coming.  Then again, who knew if I was even going to be joining the same class 1-A that I'd watched a million times over.  I could be in the class above them or even a few classes below.  It wasn't worth troubling myself over right now -- not when I could be getting some much needed sleep.

I closed my eyes and curled up, still fully dressed in the same clothes I had worn all day, too tired to change, and I was asleep in a matter of seconds.