Chapter thirty five: into the dark

The screen was shattered, and the transmitter was toast, but Lexan stood shooting the horde that now threatened to over run them "damn it! Raan, take out the back ground!" He yelled into his com unit.

"I'm on it, stand clear!" The star flight roared overhead and the rippling sounds of bullets penetrated the air.

Lexan ducked a swinging claw, plunged the sword into it's chest and shot it's face.

As he removed the sword, ducked and spun, taking the next diseased legs out with his sword and shot two others between the eyes, before shooting the amputated diseased.

He knew they had to fall back, but without the generals command he knew they wouldn't listen, shooting four more he spotted rook leaping up, twisting around and snapping a diseased's neck "rook! We need to fall back to the gap! We're getting slaughtered"

"I agree! Pass me your com unit!" He nodded and threw it to him, just as he decapitated a disease.

"Attention all units! Attention all units, fall back, I repeat, fall back!" He yelled, all the remaining in'stara fled as killian came flying past, slamming into the wall.

"Damn it! He's been imbued" he muttered, standing he rushed back into the fray.

Lexan looked to the fleeing army and back into the smoke, he frowned and rushed forward, pistol draw, and retrieving his sword....

***

Altan rushed to and fro, helping the wounded and laying down the dead, kis'na winced as the healer poured an antiseptic on her gash, she sighed as the pain fled her arm.

She looked up as rook came in, a worried look on his face "rook? What's wrong?" He looked around and said

"Where's Lexan? Is he here?" Her eyes went wide

"No, I thought he was with you....was he-"

"Yes, he was with me when we ordered the retreat, but when I looked back he was nowhere to be found"

They went silent, each wondering where, and both too afraid to at the same time....

"Well, he's probably with killian, so....so he should be alright....right?"

Rook said nothing as lexans com went online "guys! Are you there?"

Relief washed over them, and rook answered "yes Lexan, we're here, where are you?"

"I'm with killian, we're at the door, I've been trying to contact you for a few minutes"

"But....its only been an hour, you went off an hour ago, and just contacted us a minute ago" rook said shocked.

"Hang on.....ah.....oh, damn it! Killian has just informed me that a time freeze has affected the area, it's like a temporal lock but only on a set point, and never locked"

Everyone heard, and was shocked, they had heard of them, but never experienced.

"So what do we do? What can we do to help?" Kis'na asked, but frowned when killian answered.

"You can't do anything, the time freeze affects any who enter, I can set it right, but it'll take a while, around three days here.....three years there"

"Damn it! So do I tell linn? Or do we wait?"

"No, tell her, I....I don't want her mad at me"

They nodded, it was understandable, a pregnant mother was dangerous.....worse then the stranger.

***

Lexan stared at the door, feeling apprehensive, and glanced at killian, who was staring at him "before I go through there, I want to know everything, who you are, why you look like me, otherwise I'm turning around and leaving"

He sighed, and said "what I'm about to tell you, will shock you and sound very cliched, so don't get angry....the truth is, well.....i'm.....well, I'm your father"

There was a stunned silence, and Lexan stared at him like he was insane "my father died, I saw his grave! I laid flowers down on it! He's dead, you can't be my father!"

"No, I am, the body in that grave isn't mine, it's your uncles, he took your mothers hand to prevent you from being a bastard, not that he would need to, seeing as they both died....."

He stared, and slowly shook his head "no.....no, you can't be, even if what you said is true, you can't be him!"

"And why is that? Because you want to keep hating me? Because you feel like you've been cheated? Cheated of a life?"

"No" he whispered "because I don't want to get hurt again....i want to believe you, but I don't want to have to kill you if your lying"

He sighed, and ran a hand through his hair "their gonna kill me for this" he murmured, but he clicked his fingers and a chill appeared to the air, Lexan looked up as he heard soft, barely noticeable footsteps, and saw a tall, handsome man smiling at him.....

"Hey there kiddo, glad to meet you at last....I know your confused, I'm your uncle tastlan, and what this bone head is telling you is true....my body lies in his grave"

"Why? Why did you all lie to me?"

He sighed and said "we wanted to protect you, we thought that what the ancients said was false, that we'd live and this curse would never raise again, but I got shot, like he said I would, and your mother died at childbirth"

"So this was all planned before I was even born?"

"Yup, you were always the chosen one to end the plague....we knew it would come back, we just never knew when...."

He looked at killian, and then looked at his uncle that he never knew, who he thought was his father....he rubbed his eyes, his head hurt.

"So your my uncle, your my dad....where's my mother?"

There was a silence as they looked at each other and there was a silent conversation "she....had business with one of the other ancients"

"So she won't even meet me? Why?" He asked, frowning, a little hurt...

"We'll call her when this is all done, okay? For now, my son....you have a destiny to fulfill......."

He turned and drew a deep breath, and said "how do I beat it"

"We don't know, it was never specified, but we're sure you can do it"

"Well, if I don't make it" he turned his head "tell linn that I love her, and that I'm sorry, it's all on a video I recorded, don't do what you did to me, it's better for him to know I'm dead then for him to have a pretend father"

Killian nodded "is there anything else? Any last wishes if you don't make it?"

He shook his head "no, not that I can think of, just.....apologize to everyone, and tell them I'm sorry"

"I will, just walk up to the door, and then it should open"

"And if it doesn't?"

"It will, there is no doubt.....go my son, and live your destiny"

He drew another breath and checked his clips, full, and heavy pistol rounds, the ones that could knock down a heavy transport, and his sword had changed.....

He looked back to see his father grinning sadly, smiled in turn, and walked towards the door, which shuddered, and began sinking into the ground, beyond was nothing but a dark staircase....

He walked in, becoming harder to see, until the darkness swallowed him whole.....

Authors note: one. More. Chapter! And then, we are done! Ladies and gentlemen, the next will be a doosy, so hold on tight, also, I'd like to know weather I did the twist well? Were you surprised? Or did you see it coming? Haha, so let me know, I'd love to hear your thoughts, until the final fight my friends, hasta luego :D