Chapter sixteen: lexans worry, linns secret

After linn woke up screaming and sobbing, Lexan had been on edge, what had she dreamt that made her that distressed.

And then there was their was their larger yet somehow lesser problem of how to get out of here, he had told his wife that she was to try and sleep, it appeared that it only happened at night, for she slept peacefully.

Rook slept well too, his nightmare was lesser he told them after staring sadly at linn.

As more and more of the infected came, Lexan was hard pressed for an idea, the others needed his help, and as kis'na had told him, if he couldn't lead under pressure, then he wasn't a leader.

Said wolf was racing up and down, carrying bullets and water when asked, she was also near linn arguing with her over something, which worried Lexan, the two had always been at odds with each other, so why were they huddled together talking quietly? it was strange.

Then there was Raan, he had always been scholarly and wise, but he was slowly gaining a warriors look, enjoying the dead screams while Lexan and rook grimaced sadly.

All in all, he was tired, frustrated and confused.....he needed a plan, and fast! before his friends and family became nothing more then walking diseased.....

***

Linn watched as her husband paced before the fire that Raan was practically embedded in, kis'na kept shooting her looks, her eyes glittering, she had made her intentions clear, tell him, or I will.....how could she though?

How could she? when their lives are literary in the balance? she couldn't, she wanted to focus on keeping alive before she told him.....Lexan stopped and said "I won't lie, this is bad, I've got us cornered with no hope of escape.....so, I'm open to suggestions on how to get us out of here alive"

Everyone went quiet, kis'na said "we could sneak away at night? if what Raan said is true, then they wouldn't be able to move fast after us" "nor could Raan or myself" rook said simply, here she growled.

"Well, what about you, oh masterful strategist?!" She snarled, to which he replied "I could fly us out, I am strong enough to take two at once, and there are five of us, two each trip" kis'na mumbled and placed her head in her paws.

"Okay, but you'd have to take us at daylight wouldn't you?" Lexan asked "indeed I would" rook said, suddenly catching on "we may be able to use your flying after all" linn said slowly.

They looked at her "what do you mean?" rook asked "well, while the others distract them, one of us gets flown to the Star flight and gets it back here" "we then climb on board and find a safe place to bunker down, right?" Raan asked "pretty much" she said smiling.

Lexan nodded and said "its the best plan we've got, so everyone, try to rest......"

***

Linns POV

I was worried, why was I worried? not over the obvious fact that I could die at any moment, well, it was, but there was more too it.....

You see, I'm pregnant.....

It happened while we were on my home world, when we made love that night, now, I'm not upset about it, in fact when I found out I was so excited I near burst.

It's just that.....well, Lexan has always been something of a drifter and loner, he does things his way and no arguments about it, would he love me enough to give up his cherished freedom? I keep trying to tell myself yes, but I'm not really convinced.

Yes I know he loves me, but enough to give up who he is is what I'm asking.....

Then there's that damned wolf, constantly at my ankles! trying to get me to tell him "its his child isn't it?" she had asked, I furiously replied "yes it is!" she nodded and then said "then tell him! its his child as well, he has a right to know!"

That wolf was way to smart sometimes.....

I looked up as he lay down beside me and wrapped his arms around my waist, as we lay there, he asked "is there anything wrong linn? that dream had you pretty shaken up?" here's my chance! tell him!! you won't get a chance if you die!

"No my love, it was just a bad dream....."

By the moons I'm a coward!!!