Chapter fourteen: heed the door

Lexan stood at the front of the strange door, it's glistening metal untarnished and so shiny you could see as far back as ten meters behind you.

Linn was helping rook burn the bodies to avoid the disease spreading while Raan wrote things in his scholar manual......only Lexan seemed captivated by the door.

He noticed that the door seemed carved with strange swirling symbols, they were posted on all the corners and seemed to reflect the little light that the malga star gave off, he leant closer to examine them when.....

"This door is as old as our people" he jumped a foot and spun around to find rook staring at him "don't do that rook!" he ignored him "some say that the reason for our existence is inside the room that door holds......but all who have tried to open it have failed, and all have met horrific deaths"

Lexan knew a warning when he heard one, but still.....the beautiful metal and flickering light dancing on his eyes made him wander what such a wonderful thing was doing in this part of the barren waste land.

"Hear me Lexan of sword! pay no heed or mind to the door! it will only result in your destruction" he frowned and said "even if I could open it, why would I? what's behind there that could be so dangerous?" "I know not, and I would like to keep not knowing......all in'stara feel the evil that door emits, because we were here when it was made, the other races.....they see only beauty, like a foolish youth only sees the skin of a women, not her souls"

"Souls?" Lexan asked curiously "I thought we only had one?" rook gave an unmissable smirk and said "really? well, that's unfortunate" but he would not tell further.

***

The stranger watched as the two odd matched creatures talked, he paid more heed to the Terren, the man called Lexan.....he saw the key to opening the door right there, in that man that was going to be a real nuisance to him and his master.

He turned and said to the corpses behind him "kill the other three, but save the Terren, I have use of him" the shambling corpses moved off, some dragging a foot, and others in too much pain to do anything other then moan.

***

Rook looked sharply to his right and yelled "by f'gal! here they come again" the others turned and drew their weapons, rook grabbed a spare pistol and yelled "my friends! please forgive me!" and shot, one fell and rolled down the sand dune, the others opened fire and mowed them down.

They stopped firing and they cheered, but that quickly stopped when thousands started to shamble down the dune "shit!" Lexan yelled "up the cliff! now" they did so, knowing that there was only one way up and down.

Once they were up, Lexan started to move boulders and rocks in front of the ramp, he then said "Raan, linn, thin out their numbers from here! rook me and you will take care of the ones that slip through" "it will be as you command" he said, taking his gun and bunkering down behind the rocks.

Lexan joined him, they glanced at each other, then sharpened their focus as they heard the guns going off, three appeared and were dispatched by two shots from Lexan and one from rook, they waited for more.....

And so it went on, their numbers seemed limitless "how many people were on this planet!?" Lexan yelled over the crack of guns "over three billion I'm afraid!" Rook bellowed back.

Eventually they seemed to slow down, and stopped as the sun set "what's going on?" linn whispered to Raan "their insects, when the sun goes down they need to find a place to keep warm......" "like you?" linn asked shocked, he nodded "as of now I am fine, but as it gets colder...." He paused and said no more.

Linn relayed this and Lexan came over, a bundle of sticks and a log of wood, he settled them around him "your gonna look like a walking target, buts its better then you dying" "yes" Raan said calmly "that would put quite a crimp in my day"

When the wood was placed, he placed an incendiary shot and fired, the flash heat of the bullet caused the dry and brittle bone like sticks to burn quiet easy.

"Thank you Lexan, I feel my strength returning already" he nodded and took linns hand and said "stay frosty, I don't want to take you home in a body bag" "you don't give me enough credit" she said smiling, he chuckled and kissed her.

The night passed in silence, so Lexan ordered that two sleep while the other two kept watch......

***

The stranger smirked, he felt the alavilean and the in'stara slowly drifted off.....perfect!

He gave a gruntial scream and from the very pores from his skin a dark noxious gas like dust, it swirled around him and was blown away on the cold night air.....

The stranger gave a mad cackle and turned to wait....

Authors note: dun-dun-DUUUUN! what's the dust? why is the stranger so happy about it? when will my dinner finally be cooked so I may feast! forget that last one! haha, anyway, next up is the last species log, then I will be moving onto the personal files of Lexan and his rag tag team, I may also do a little back chapter story thing for each of them if this story reaches high aclaim and you want me too of course 😜 anyway, as always, read! comment! annnnnndddddd VOTE! adios!