12. A New Face

Unfortunately things hadn't improved much at home with Bella, and Dad and I were living in a state of chronic exhaustion.

Everything seemed to go wrong all at the same time. School was awful. Jacob and the boys hated the pack. The pack kept watching the boys. I was trapped in the middle. Bella was a mess. Dad was a mess because Bella was a mess and I was a mess because Dad was a mess. And to made matter worse I ran over the neighbors dog.

I was backing out of the driveway with Bella's truck to move it out of the way for where Jacob and Billy were supposed to park later and felt a thud. It was horrible and after telling the neighbors very tearfully, I walked back to the house and burst into tears. I sat on the couch and sobbed until Jacob and his Dad arrived.

"Liana? What's wrong?" Jacob rushed to my side. "Is everything okay?"

I shook my head and hiccuped. "I-I kil-killed Spotty."

"Spotty?" I couldn't look at him but heard the question in his voice.

"The-the neighbors dog. I ran him over. And he's dead." I cried. It had probably been a good half hour of sobbing, but I was still crying.

A warm arm wrapped around me and Jacob settled into the couch beside me.

Billy's comforting voice broke the silence. "Liana, it will be okay. I know it is hard. But you will get through this. For now I think you should just sleep and then things will be better tomorrow. Where is your dad at?"

I sniffed a few times and raised my head. Wiping my eye I nodded. "He's still at work. Should be back soon though."

Jacob frowned. "You sure you're okay?"

I nodded but then shook my head. "I don't know. I'm really tired. Sleep is still hard to get."

Billy snorted in derision. "That sister of yours will need to get herself together soon. This isn't good for anyone. You can come back with us for the weekend and get some sleep."

I nodded without protest. Almost every weekend since I had first fallen asleep at their place either Dad sent me over there to sleep or one of them offered. And I appreciated it.

Jacob kept his arm around me as I recovered from my tears, and we just sat there in companionable silence as Billy put on a game.

By the next week I was mostly over the sadness of running over Spotty, but I still felt guilty. I had just told Emily the whole story when we heard a car pull up.

We looked up and frowned. Normally no one came except for me and the boys. And that was rarely by vehicle.

Our confusion was lifted when Jared walked in followed by a petite girl who we instantly knew to be Kim.

It had been several weeks since Jared had imprinted and in that time we had not learned much about the girl except her name and that she was supposedly the most amazing person in the universe.

Jared was grinning a huge grin. "Em, Liana, meet Kim, my imprint. Kim, this is Emily and Liana."

I waved and smiled and Emily drew Kim into a hug. Kim smiled shyly and Jared beamed. I snorted at their mushyness that was already present.