40. Waiting

Crash.

"Ahhggg!" I shrieked in frustration. I threw the bottle of cleaner solution at the wall and spun around to see the pile of boxes that I had made spilled all over the ground. I kicked one and huffed an angry breath.

"Whoa there!" Dad exclaimed from the doorway. "What's happening?"

I scowled and plopped down on the floor. I was trying to clean out Bella's room to turn it into a guest room. It was entirely to frustrating though as everything in here made me think of her, which made me either sad, angry, or disappointed. "Nothing. I'm just making a mess. And it's going great."

Dad eyed the room. "Do you maybe want help?"

I shook my head. I had been on edge since the wedding, and I realized it was because I was waiting for the news that Bella and Edward were 'dead'. "No, I'm going to finish this and then go outside."

Dad stopped me as I tried to squeeze past him. "Ana, no. You can take a break. Go hang out with your friends. School is going to start again soon so you won't be able to see them as often. Go have fun."

I sighed, but nodded.

Ten minutes later I was driving down to La Push in the Volkswagen Rabbit. I was finally able to use my foot to drive again which I was very happy about. I pulled to a stop in front of the Blacks house and sat there for a moment. Slowly I got out of the vehicle and just as I closed the door, Jacob appeared on the porch. He was beaming as he usually did when he saw me, which brightened my mood. I gave a smile in return and before I knew it I was being lifted into a hug.

I laughed and we made our way inside.

"What brings you over?" Jacob asked. He plopped down on the couch pulled me next to him.

I shrugged. "Dad told me to take a break from cleaning Bella's room. So I came to visit."

Jacob hummed thoughtfully.

I closed my eyes and rested my head against him and felt his arm snake over my shoulders. We rested there in silence for a while before Jacob broke the silence.

"I don't like that you are so sad."

I blinked up at him. "What? I'm not sad."

Jacob shook his head. "I think you are. You've been acting different since the wedding. I know that Bella hurt you a lot, but you only get hurt by people you care about, so I think you are sad about her decision."

He wasn't wrong. I just didn't want to admit it so I stayed silent. Jacob was smart though and could figure out what my silence meant.

"What can I do? You haven't barely smiled since then. How can I help?" Jacob sound so pleading that I conceded.

I tipped my head back to look at him. "You being here helps. I don't want to be sad about it, but so much around the house brings her to mind and then what she is going to do. Did you know that they are planning on telling Dad that they died in a plane crash or something? I can't help but think about how devastated he will be."

Jacob held me tighter. "I'm sorry. I wish I could make things better."

I just nodded. It was really hard. I was in the process of letting go of Bella, but Dad wasn't. He still expected to see her for holidays and such. I knew different. She wasn't ever going to be there again.

Jacob continued to try and distract me, and it eventually worked. One thing that always made me happy to think about was that Rachel and Paul were very happily together. After the initial shock and confusion about the pack and the imprint, Rachel accepted him. And so they were a regular sight around the Blacks house, but they were no where to be found at the moment.